A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
R15 - Team Render question
Posted: 20 March 2014 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2014-03-03

I rendered out using Teamrender, a 1920x1080 32bit frame of animation.  It’s a 24mgs(PSD tif) file when finished.  It took :30 to render when I did a TR render “current frame” in my output options, both processor working on the one frame.  When I render the same animation, now as render “all frames” in my output options, the processing is divided up so that one machine works on one half of the frames and the other on the other half.  Rendering takes 1:40 per frame on my master machine and 4:20 on my client to do one frame (1920x1080 32bit) for a total almost 6:00 to do two frames.

So if we rendered 10 frames with both machines working on each frame (render”current frame”), @:30 per frame, my animation would be complete in 5 minutes.  To do the same 10 frames using render “all frames”, in 5 minutes my master machine would get through 3.5 frames and my client would get through about 1.3.  In this instance about half the speed? 

My question is why the discrepancy?  Anybody have similar results?  I went back and for with support and never received a satisfactory answer?

Tom

Posted: 20 March 2014 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tom,

You might check this with the support (perhaps try again), but I think the time needed to send information back-and-forth through the network is normally the bottle neck, considering both machines equal in CPU and RAM, HD etc..
Try Open-EXR and a small project file for a test. Tif is large, even compressed compared to Open-EXR (Which is of course dependent on the content).

Another test could be to use the initial “slave” machine as master. If then rendering times stays the same, it’s the machine, if they flip (new-master fast, slave slow) then it is the network. (Perhaps a mix?)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 March 2014 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2014-03-03

Hi,

Doesn’t the team render of one frame have the same bottle neck?  Both methods are using team render? 

Best,
Tom

Posted: 20 March 2014 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

If both render on a single frame, then the master has the data already available, right? Net-works can be very slow compared to scenes which are locally available.
Or do you work already with a Thunderbold2 network?
I can’t tell more, no TR set up here. You mentioned that you had no luck with the support, but this should be cleared by the support, not in CV so far I understand the rules. Good luck.

Manual>> Reference CINEMA 4D> CINEMA 4D Visualize, Broadcast, Studio

Miscellaneous

Server and render clients must have the same software versions (e.g., a CINEMA 4D Broadcast render client will not be able to calculate Hair).

All corresponding plugins for a given Project file must also be installed on all render clients.

The following applies to rendering stills: The faster an image’s Buckets can be calculated by a single computer, the less sense it makes to use Team Render. Why: Each rendered Bucket is sent across the network to the server. If the frequency with which the rendered Buckets arrive is too high, the traffic overhead on the network will simply be too great and will actually slow rendering. Even if a still requires only a few seconds to render, using Team Render will NOT speed up rendering for the same reason.

The network used should be as fast as possible because the amount of traffic back-and-forth between server and render clients can be immense. Surprisingly high amounts of traffic can be generated in particular when sending various cache files in conjunction with GI over the network (example: a test render of a still on 3 computers with activated Irradiance Cache and Light Maps can generate 500 MB of traffic (or more) - with a render time of only 50 seconds).

In heterogeneous networks with different computers (in particular different CPUs), differences can occur when calculating various effects such as particle streams, cloth, hair, Dynamics or GI. Particles will in part be rendered at different locations on various computers. The reason for this is the differing calculation precision of each computer’s math units (FPU - Floating Point Unit). Some calculate earlier than others. Generally speaking, effects should be baked for such projects. This problem can generally be eliminated by using computers with exactly the same configuration - this will produce identical results for a single scene.

Projects that use the Irradiance Cache (Legacy) function cannot be rendered using Team Render. If an attempt is nevertheless made, a warning will be displayed after which the current Irradiance Cache function will be substituted and rendering via Team Render will continue.

For performance reasons, the use of WiFi in conjunction with Team Render is not recommended. Team Render can generate a high amount of traffic, which can lead to bottlenecks when using multiple computers to render via a single WiFi network.

Note that the entire Project must be loaded and processed even when rendering a very small section of an image (in case you’re thinking about using that old computer you have standing around with 2GB of RAM …). A faster computer can have multiple buckets rendered by the time that dusty old computer is even up and running with Team Render.

If a rendering animations in the Render Queue is stopped it wil continue when the render job is restarted. However, CINEMA 4D must have saved the previously rendered images to a save path so they can be found by the Render Queue.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

2 of 2