A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

joining meshes automatically
Posted: 03 November 2016 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-07-14

Hello,

I am quite a beginner with C4D, maybe it’s a trivial question.

Is there a possibility which joins mesh parts automatically?
I imported a “Poser”-character from an obj-file, now I try to rigg this with a “Character”-object but this “Poser”-figures have lots of mesh parts and if they are deformed by the joints it shows gaps. I already run the “join objects” conversion and reduced the not needed parts but now it would be good to join the single parts to one mesh. I know I could do this with the polygon pen, but this mesh parts are already aligned quite well, the neighboring lines and points of the meshes are in perfect position. If I want to go between the edges with the polygon pen I have to move lines/points first, which would be a pity.
Maybe there is a command which does this process automatically. Or is there any procedure (maybe a tutorial) to do this in a good way?

thank you in advance

Posted: 03 November 2016 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi wosch7,

After connect, try the Optimize function.

https://help.maxon.net/us/#5674

If you like, I can give an upload link and explore your model.
I haven’t updated Poser since a few years, but so far (since v1) I think there was an option to export directly as a single mesh, I have to check that, though, it has been a while.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 November 2016 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-07-14

… oh Thank you, that was a great help for me, I missed that OPTIMIZE can do this too.
As far I know POSERs pro-version has more extended export-options, even to export directly C4D-files – I have only the simple version.
But now it’s fine with the imported OBJ-file. I was able to reduce the meshes of the character and the rigging is much better now.
And many thanks for your offer to check my uploaded file – at the moment it is not necessary.

Best regards, Wolfgang

Posted: 03 November 2016 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Wolfgang,

Great that it worked for you. Please have the Tolerance parameter in your mind when you use it, as it can also “eat” very small polygons, hence the option to adjust it.

Good news that it work as well, as my version isn’t running anymore with the current OS. I wouldn’t have the standard version, but perhaps I find a demo…

Anyway, let me know if something else comes up, I will get my version to work somehow, if needed.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      hardsurface ››