A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Trouble exporting FBX object
Posted: 01 September 2016 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2013-02-13

The picture of the white chair is my object missing textures. That’s when I tested it.
The picture of the black chair with red lights, that’s what it is supposed to look like.

How do I export it as an fbx file with the textures?

Posted: 02 September 2016 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jamestown,

Thanks for the image, but the files would perhaps help more. If you need an upload link, please let me know, so your model is not in public.
Since the variety of FBX has grown largely over the years and additionally each version seems to act differently, I can’t tell from an image what happens on your side.

I have updated the text, and here is the way it should work.

In the FBX export menu you have typically the option to save with “Texture/Material”—or to—“Embed Image”.

“Texture/Material”
If this is checked only (not Embedded Image), then this will produce an absolute path. If the FBX file is then moved away from this environment and has no access to this “location” anymore, you need to use the Texture Manager to find and replace it, or have the Preferences Files to work with path entries toward this.

“Embed Image”
This works only if the “Texture/Material” is checked as well. This will load the image into the FBX file. Which creates a much larger file. I haven’t checked what happens if the maximum file size is exceeded of any thinkable OS. Please keep your target audience in mind.
In the moment a FBX file with embedded Image[s] is loaded via FBX to Cinema 4D, then a <file-name>.fbm folder is created (on the level of the FBX file location). This will happen either way, if you use File> Open or File> Merge. Note that the file path for the image is then absolute to the fbm folder! This can get exessive. So save the C4D after all work is done with Assets. (which collects all images in a tex folder and sets the path to relative. I mention here the “relative vs absolute path” often, as it it might be crucial to understand the whole set up.)

I have tested this as well for R18 with the newest FBX version included.

If nothing of this works, please check with the support.

https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]