A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Apply newly created Render Settings to multiple scenes
Posted: 03 June 2016 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2015-11-30

I’ve got a bunch of scenes/assets which contain xRefs and takes.

At the moment I’m spending most of my time having to go through each scene to change/apply a new render settings preset.

Is there a more efficient way of applying render settings to multiple scenes?

I assumed that if I edited the current render settings and saved them under the same name, all other scenes would use these new render settings, but when I try and save over the current render settings it creates a new settings file instead (increments name).

It looks like each scene saves with its render settings internally and they aren’t instanced/referenced from anywhere..
This is extremely inconvenient.. anyone else faced this?

Let me try to rephrase, as I think a lot of people aren’t getting what I’m trying to say:

- say you have 100 c4d scenes (you have no way of condensing the scenes into one file since each scene contains different takes)
- then you make a new render settings preset
- theres no way to apply it to all those scenes in one task
- you have to manualy load each scene, load the newly created render setting, set it, save and exit
- update render que

Posted: 03 June 2016 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi NNenov,

Are you under the impression, that a scene file that contains a specific render setting, and used as XRef,  will have an influence of the “host” scene? Host is used here for a scene that contains XRef.

Any Render-settings of a scene file which is used as XRef will be ignored AFAIK.

As the render settings include the path for the results, I fear there is no change all at once. If that would make sense or be workable, then the Render Queue would have an option to load Render Settings.

If you like to have it for new scene file, then create an empty scene and set it up as you need it, then save it as NEW.c4d into your app folder.

Anything else, I guess you have to load in the wanted render settings in the Render-Settings…>Load Settings.

I could only think of a Python script that limits that work to a click on an icon.

The settings are not stored somewhere in a separate from, as in each setting separate, they are stored in a compressed file, and named user.lib4d (as shown in the Load option.). To my knowledge, the “My Render Settings are not an option to be overwritten, as this could cause quite some trouble. I caution against it, if to try and “hack” it.

======

Perhaps I miss a point, but so far I have read your post, this is my current conclusion.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 June 2016 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-11-30

Are you under the impression, that a scene file that contains a specific render setting, and used as XRef,  will have an influence of the “host” scene? Host is used here for a scene that contains XRef.

I know the render settings of the “scene which is rendered”‘s settings will be used, and not the xRef’s inside it.

Any Render-settings of a scene file which is used as XRef will be ignored AFAIK.

AFAIK also.

As the render settings include the path for the results, I fear there is no change all at once. If that would make sense or be workable, then the Render Queue would have an option to load Render Settings.

I’m not sure what you mean here

If you like to have it for new scene file, then create an empty scene and set it up as you need it, then save it as NEW.c4d into your app folder.
Great tip, I know about this also but it isn’t applicable to my problem.

Anything else, I guess you have to load in the wanted render settings in the Render-Settings…>Load Settings.
Yes this exactly is my problem, having to do this tens, even hundreds of time for 2D asset creation commission as render requirements are changing based on feedback/development.

I could only think of a Python script that limits that work to a click on an icon.
Agreed, not sure if there’s anything like this available anywhere.

The settings are not stored somewhere in a separate from, as in each setting separate, they are stored in a compressed file, and named user.lib4d (as shown in the Load option.). To my knowledge, the “My Render Settings are not an option to be overwritten, as this could cause quite some trouble. I caution against it, if to try and “hack” it.

That’s correct, since no file modification is possible, the only thing I could try was deleting the settings used by all my scenes and saving the new one under the same name. Unfortunately this didn’t work and is how I realised the render settings are actually stored within the c4d scenes, they have the name of the file, but its cosmetic only, not a dynamic link/reference to the render settings file.
This would explain why you can’t pick a newly made render settings template from the dropdown for the renders in the render queue, only ones that are stored in the actual c4d scene files.
However, I think implementing this feature wouldn’t be too complicated, and although the render queue dialogue doesn’t have the ability to set settings for multiple scenes(which would also be a great feature), it would still be a welcome solution to having to open each scene separately and load/apply the settings that way.

Perhaps I miss a point, but so far I have read your post, this is my current conclusion.

I think you get my problem, and yeah right now it seems like it would need some sort of complicated script and/or .bat to sort it out.

Posted: 03 June 2016 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

NNevov: I’m not sure what you mean here

If you could copy all the rendersettings at once, it would contain the footage/image file path, as well the name and all other parts e.g., the aec file. Since they are part of the Render Settings [RS]. Since there is an adjustment needed, e.g., open the file and set the RS, I do not see a big advantage here. There are exceptions if the naming process is based on tokens as in “$prj”

NNevov: Great tip, I know about this also but it isn’t applicable to my problem.

Not intended as such, but logically as a future tip of course. (No batch change here either, BTW, if you change later the NEW.c4d file!)

NNevov: Yes this exactly is my problem, having to do this tens, even hundreds of time for 2D asset creation commission as render requirements are changing based on feedback/development.

Well, here is the core of the problem, and I asked why would you do that, if the file path is not set with this and needs attention.

NNevov: I think you get my problem, and yeah right now it seems like it would need some sort of complicated script and/or .bat to sort it out.

Perhaps you take the Content Browser [see image] and drag your presets into the open scene file. In this way if would be a batch drag and save process. With hundred I guess it is a ten minute process. At least for me. After that, use the NEW.c4d, but that wouldn’t allow future batch chances! I have a one minute clip created, I have a one minute clip here (yes I know, not the answer to your question…but hopefully it accelerates the work.)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/HpECtKsk7B6X2mNsouChjEm5vCuvQDuBJKz727ehyeQ?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I don’t obviously, and I have no idea why you need to change all, as you call it “assets” if the render path for any rendering is not individual, so far you have not explained it. Please define it, so the next step will work faster –

My best advice here:

Get in contact with the support, or make a suggestion:

http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html

I can’t do anything more than I have suggested. Perhaps the CV-Tool developers have an idea, but all I can do here is to tell you what the native tools in Cinema 4D can do, outside of that—it needs a developer or the support team.

Good Luck

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 June 2016 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-11-30

I am indeed using render tokens so the preset can be applied to all scenes without causing any conflicts, unique folders and sub folders are created relative to project name and take and passes etc.

I know it seems a little pointless if the files are easy to open, apply and save, but my files take a long time to open, so its a very time consuming operation, I’m not being lazy! Another time consuming operation is adding my projects and all their takes to the render que (i do save the que once everything is there, but sometimes I have to make large scale changes and do it all again), there’s no option to select multiple c4d scenes to add to a render que with all their takes.. These are all issues which wouldn’t normally affect people unless they were working with very large files (point cached animations etc.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me. Greatly appreciated. I’ll submit the suggestion, the project I’m working on is quite long term, I suspect it will be long over before anybody else submits a similar suggestion or has this problem. I really thought it would be a common one..

Posted: 04 June 2016 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, NNenov,

I certainly can understand the wish to have that. I’m not arguing that. But I can’t share what I can’t find in the application.

For your suggestion:

a) a request for a droplet (as one can do with Photoshop Actions). Which allows to set up a render setting, and after that, all files can be dragged at once over that icon (hence the name droplet) and all files are updated.

b) a batch list (different to the Render Queue), where one can drag scene files in and use the same Render Settings, with Token$. Option to render out, e.g., Preview images for a catalog, useful for the “Cinema 4D VISUALIZE” application

c) an update to the Render Queue, as in “b)” but without opening the file, and following along the render settings of the first added scene file.

d) as your idea (last but not least) and streamlined to the apps naming convention, to have an “XRef Render Settings” option. So one can have a central stored Render Setting.

I think the idea for a catalog production, or reference list rendering, I would stress the point that the Cinema 4D Visualize product would greatly benefit from any of these option.
As usual, I guess the developing process will show much better ways to do it, but we need to start somewhere.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: