A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bodypaint Aliasing
Posted: 03 April 2016 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-03-01

Hi,

I am having an issue with aliasing in Bodypaint.  I Freeze the 3D View and go into Photoshop and write text.  When I merge the text back in I am having aliasing issues.  I have this problem making text in Bodypaint directly as well.  I have interpolation on in the Bodypaint preferences.  How do I go about resolving this?  I have attached an example of text merged from Photoshop.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted: 03 April 2016 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

How large (resolution) is the texture at that area? It looks more like a blurry pixel.

If you like I can send you an upload link for the scene file and the texture [object texture, not the freeze one].

Typically you can measure the amount of pixels with a checkerboard texture, with, e.g., 100 pixels per square.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 April 2016 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-03-01

I set the Freeze 3D Resolution to 2048 x 2048.  The object color texture is set to 2048.  Send me a link and I can share the file with you.  I looked at the object color texture after you mentioned that and I could see the text was taking up a very small space on the texture.  I made another project where I set the object color texture to 6144 x 6144 and it was much cleaner, though there still was some aliasing if I zoomed in really close.  How large should I make a texture if I have a close up of text in my final render?  Is 6144 excessive or is that pretty typical? 

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 03 April 2016 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Ben,

The Freeze texture/layer can be even larger, it doesn’t really matter as long as it is not smaller or equal to the exiting object texture/material. In the moment you merge it back, it will only have the resolution of the texture inside of the material. there is no change.

If you change the size in the editor view of the object, the same freeze resolution will affect the object/material texture differently. The Freeze texture is a temporary file.

Please check your PM (Private Message), I will send you an upload link in a few minutes, I just have to generate one.

talk to you soon.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 April 2016 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the example, Ben.

There is no rule for an absolute number. It depends always on the final render size. With this size you can define the needed size of the object texture. Camera-position and field of view as well the position of the object and the way the texture is applied (scaled or via UV, tiled etc) are part of that equation

First of all, if the render is 1000 pixels and the visible texture is 1500 you are just fine. This is the rule of thumb, 1.5 times higher, as a pixel can rotate, etc. I guess the minimum number is base on Square root of two [1.414_]

Since the texture and the final result/render are not in the same size, you have to check how much of your texture is really in the final image. The cube in your scene has only ~500 pixels from the psd file in use. So the size of the psd file doesn’t matter if you show only a part of it. I have a 5K screen and the cube (filling the screen) looks pixelated [heavily], as you have mentioned.

If you move the camera toward the cube, it magnifies the texture even more.

You have to find the highest magnification of the texture. Given the “crop” of the texture, you can then estimate how large it should have been, times 1.5 at least. Your scene-file had the default render size, so I can’t use it, as I do not think that’s the final.

Have a look at the screenshot I have attached. I placed a 100x100 patter there, if you use this, you can easily count he squares and get the right numbers then.

Example: to render at HD with a hight of 1080 pixels. The texture shows [for example!] two of the squares in hight = 200 pixels. In the example we assume as well that whole texture is 2048x2048. So, it uses only 10% of it! The visible texture to fill 1080 needs to be roughly/min 1600 for the visible area, eight times higher. The way the texture is set up and shown is resulting in a size of 32Kx32K. This is quite large, so the question is, why using only 10% to start with?

Taken your example, the file uses only a fraction of the texture, roughly a third. There is lots of unused space. See the three images from UV-Edit. These six squares should fill the texture perhaps with a little seam.

I hope the math has become clear. It has a few variables, and the camera might move in closer—later on, so perhaps chose wisely.

If you need only on one side text, do it on an additional material, which might be only as large as the text. This would make sense if the texture on the object is less detailed.

Again, the Freeze texture is not able to increase that part of the texture.

Let me know if there is something unclear.

All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/SNoyPpD9jacDwlQjSMR6zmQTRE3sBNTylzTvfX715oW?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW: