A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Boston Terrier Illustration: Using Polygon Pen to Add Modeling Detail
Posted: 08 March 2016 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-05-16

I am in the fourth part of this tutorial(13:50). You are splitting the model. In edge mode, you select an edge and double click to select the whole loop. when I double click nothing changes. Are you holding a modifier key or what setting needs to be set in live selection to make this work? Sometimes the simplest things stop one cold. (I have been working on a westie for four years and this tutorial could not be more pertinent.)

Posted: 08 March 2016 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jim137,

Are you in Live Selection Mode or do you have the Move Tool active? This might be the problem. It should be the Move Tool for this.
(Rotation or scale Tool works as well.)

If you get not a complete selection in some cases , “Shift-Double-Click” on the other part as well to complete the selection process.

Is that working for you?

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 March 2016 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-05-16

I was in live selection. I knew it was something simple. But after an hour of trying I had to ask.

It would be lovely to see a second tutorial on rigging this Boston terrier and doing a walk cycle In cmotion.

That is the next area that always seems to baffle me. Most character rigging is for bipeds and it gets very confusing.

Posted: 08 March 2016 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Jim137.

Yes, it is sometimes like a safe combination, but to mention all these each time will slow down the progress heavily. I think Patrick has always a good balance here.

I hope the rest of this great series will now work for you in the intended way. If there is any stop, please just ask (answers here will hopefully help others as well). Sorry about the delay in my answer, sometimes the “message” system seems to fail.

Enjoy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 March 2016 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17
jim137 - 08 March 2016 04:45 PM

I was in live selection. I knew it was something simple. But after an hour of trying I had to ask.

It would be lovely to see a second tutorial on rigging this Boston terrier and doing a walk cycle In cmotion.

That is the next area that always seems to baffle me. Most character rigging is for bipeds and it gets very confusing.

I am actually in the planning stages for rigging. :D
Hope you’ve enjoyed it so far, and sorry about the confusion.

Posted: 09 March 2016 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2010-05-16

I watched the whole series once through and am now going through it with my own mesh of a Westie, which is somewhat similar, to make sure I really understand and can do the concepts.

I have learned from watching other tutorials; that watching through the whole thing once, helps you know where it is going, and is more valuable than just watching and doing it like a recipe.

You learn what parts you should pay attention better or what parts you do not get.

Very Clear Tutorial, broken down into nice easy steps.

I would be nice if Cineversity tutorials had speed control, so one could play the tutorial at 1.5 speed to go through some parts more quickly.

Posted: 09 March 2016 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17
jim137 - 09 March 2016 11:58 AM

I watched the whole series once through and am now going through it with my own mesh of a Westie, which is somewhat similar, to make sure I really understand and can do the concepts.

I have learned from watching other tutorials; that watching through the whole thing once, helps you know where it is going, and is more valuable than just watching and doing it like a recipe.

You learn what parts you should pay attention better or what parts you do not get.

Very Clear Tutorial, broken down into nice easy steps.

I would be nice if Cineversity tutorials had speed control, so one could play the tutorial at 1.5 speed to go through some parts more quickly.

I’m happy you liked it! I know it is not super deep, as the modeling could go waaaaaaay further, but I was really trying to capture that feeling of casually working on a project. That is part of the reason I left in “errors”. Sometimes you stray from the path, but there is almost always a lot of flexibility in when and why certain actions happen.

Speed is a tough one, we like to try and keep the videos short, so they do get a little dense at times…I generally try to pace myself…but sometimes I just want to say as much as possible, but I will make sure that request is noted.

Posted: 11 March 2016 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2012-03-02

Love this Tutorial. Its from basic in simple way and moved to advance and learn may things which which was hidden. Thanks to CV team.

Is it possible to have C4D scene file…?

Posted: 11 March 2016 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2013-12-06

Hello iacdxb,

You can find downloadable files throughout the tutorial series to help follow along. If you are looking for the most completed C4D scene we are distributing, you can find it on the last tutorial of the series, “Boston Terrier Illustration: Final Steps: Adding Figure, Using Render Region and Saving with Filters”.

Link: http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/boston_terrier_illustration/boston_terrier_illustration_adding_figure_render_region_saving_filters

The download files for tutorials are located on the information tab, clicking the icon that says “Files”. A .zip file should then be asked to be saved on your computer.

~Michelle

Posted: 11 March 2016 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2012-03-02

Thanks.