A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Papers fly in and are then sucked into a scanner
Posted: 08 February 2016 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

I’m trying to work out a little Mograph animation in which a stack of ten pages fly into frame and into a scanner tray, and then the top page is pulled into the scanner, and then maybe the second then third.

I’ve worked out the basic fly-in portion in the attached scene, though I don’t know if it’s the most efficient approach.  I can’t figure out the best way to make the top few documents get sucked in.  I guess I could copy the cloned stack, freeze it, and animate the top few documents manually, using a Display tag to cut between the “live” and frozen cloner, though this seems a little inelegant.  If I changed something in the live stack I’d have to re-freeze and re-animate the frozen pages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Shawn

File Attachments
Papers Test.c4d.zip  (File Size: 60KB - Downloads: 145)

Posted: 08 February 2016 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

My first thought as usual, why do everything in one take. (I know everyone knows editing, but I do not see it here so often, so as we are in a forum with lots of different levels of experiences, let me fill a few lines about it :o) I see it only too often that animation becomes difficult only based on the fact that it has to be done in one step. To showcase something means to be efficient in the presentation of the information that the audience need to get. Since good editing is normally not notice, it appears often as one “take”.
Often in Feature films the average cut frequency is ~3 seconds+/-, in advertisement even faster. If something is understood, 2-3 papers flying in, it become predictable, cut, camera is now showing the whole stack and get already an idea that the machine will suck it in [anticipation, based on a light goes on or something changes], and it happens in that moment. I guess that is half the time of the whole “full animation cycle”. Which leaves room for more information and the whole audience time is used more efficiently. Again, I know everyone knows about editing, if done well, it is invisible - if not used for artistic purposes, e.g., intentional jump-cuts.

===

The simplest version to do that, would be based on a MoGraph Selection. Selecting the top three pages, of any amount. Then place a Plain Effector with a Y Falloff (very tiny) and have the selection included, as well the amount it needs to be pulled into. Perhaps you have a little deformer there so the paper becomes a little bit deformed—to sho a reaction to this treatment. See scene file.

If that is not what you need, please tell what isn’t working and I look into something else, e.g., a Modify Clone version perhaps.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_MGpt_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 39KB - Downloads: 151)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 February 2016 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

My apologies for the delayed reply.  I truly appreciate your quick responses to almost all of my questions.  This current big project, plus another than went almost two weeks past when it was due to be finished has me scrambling, so I can’t reply as quickly as I’d like.  I was up until 4am a few mornings ago, and I’ll be working through every weekend until March.  Fortunately the end client has loved what I’ve produced so far, so that’s a load off my mind.

Regarding doing everything in one take, cutting this animation up into smaller bits might be an option, especially if the client wants to add things late in the process.  I’m strongly urging against that.

I think doing everything as one continuous shot adds a bit of “magic” to the proceedings, so if it’s not a huge hassle I’m going to aim for that.  If it becomes too impractical I cut things up.

I’ll check out your setup shortly.

Thanks again.

Shawn

Posted: 13 February 2016 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Shawn.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Points wont scale ››