A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Initial state for cloth
Posted: 29 January 2016 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

I’m looking for a way to set an Initial State for a cloth simulation.  I have a something like a flag, and I would like to not have the first 100 or so frames of the animation appear at frame 0.
I don’t believe this a dress-o-matic thing, since I’m not fitting the cloth to anything, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any ideas

Posted: 29 January 2016 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

The simplest way would be to “cache” the Cloth, and use an offset of 100 frames.

Besides that, you could key frame the Points via PLA and work from there. Cappucino

I would go with an Animation Clip, and have then more control about.

Here are three ways, or three set up options (given your past projects…)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/VS1w7nsNVSlhHSkMqMls9HhoCYPnaHQ7WpW7GDdH8MK?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 January 2016 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Also, there is the dresser tab.
While the interface isn’t very straight forward, what you can do is click relax, to run the sim.
set the number of frames you want to sim, or click the button a few times.

When the cloth is where you want it, click the “Set” button next to “init state”

Posted: 29 January 2016 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Hi Sassi

Thanks for your suggestions. 

So you converted the cached sim to kf’s via Cappucino?  Or do you just run the sim and run Cappucino and then offset the keyframes? I thought Cappucino was used to record mouse movements?

Thanks!
Alex

Posted: 29 January 2016 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Hey Patrick

Indeed, a confusing interface, but it does do the trick as well.

Thanks!

Posted: 29 January 2016 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

As I know your projects since over a decade by now, I assume you like to have more control over it. Hence my three suggestions, but yes, Patrick is correct: Initial State :o) Which is the fastest way.
Then use the cache with Offset.
My thoughts: As long as you cache it, things are stable, you can even save the cache! Note that the initial state once you overwrite it [Initial state clicked again) it’s gone! It can’t be set newly after the cache was recorded.

Your question:
I have baked them first with Cappucino>PLA. Then Animation Clips. In Animation Clips I used the Cut, to take the first frame and the last 100. Then stretched the one frame to have no movement and over lapped both. (RMC to get to the Cut tools in the Motion timeline).

Cappucino creates Keyframes for the active and clicked on object, with the selection you have made in the interface of it. These keyframes can be moved, e.g., 100 frames.
In case of the F-Curve Editor, you can use the “Reduced Modification Mode” if PSR keyframes are in question, for PLA keyframe, you need a Time Track to manipulate the speed of it.

Please have a look to the one minute clip here:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/tsE5YvckhDiRC10vcKKBFKqYbVt2H50J91SH9eZVCRL?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
(the hint with the time track was maybe too fast, it is an idea too manage PLA data. I do those one minute clips to give an impression, to build up visuals how it could work)

Let me know if there is anything else. Please with a scene file, if it is more complex. (As a side note, there is also a Flag Deformer available, perhaps two+ of them for more interesting results.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 January 2016 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Hey Sassi

Thanks for the screen recording, very helpful.  I need to learn more about the time track…

Yes, the flag deformer might be simple enough for what I need.
But I was curious about Cappucino, so I tried it, but must be doing something wrong…I selected the polygon with the cloth tag, loaded Cappucino, selected pla only, and hit “Start realtime”, then play in the viewer…No result…

Do I need to do something with the mouse for Cappucino to be triggered?

Thanks!

Posted: 30 January 2016 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

I have recorded a little clip, reduced to a minute (30 sec prep, 30 bake) you can download the clip if you like:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/fvqg6ZXMn0mz38xfQfmjsyhocQIwDlnFQG3Mkxtd4Fy?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

In short:

I cached the flag, then turned the time to frame zero (or wherever you like to start). While the flag object was active, I called up Cappucino, and set the values PLA.
Without “cache” you will get normally as well results, but I find it more comfortable.
The PLA is in the Cappucino interface, not the one in the main interface.
Then I clicked on the object and kept the mouse down until the time was one time through. The frame zero needs manual care.

Let me know if it works or I will do another clip with a simpler example (plane over sphere…)

All the best

P.S.: I could give you an upload link and do this for you, so I can see what might be the problem.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 January 2016 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Fantastic, that worked!

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the creation of an additional keyframe at frame 0?  Just to not have a frozen frame?

Thanks again

Posted: 30 January 2016 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Nice that it works, Alex, thanks for the feedback.

Cappucino isn’t recording the first frame, so I do it. Feels more perfect, otherwise the first frame is without animation. If you stretch the time a lot, e.g., with a Time track, or perhaps with an Animation Clip, then you get perhaps many frames of duration no change, then it starts. This would be the only reason, perhaps call it bean counting ;o)

My best wishes for the project.

Signature 

NEW: