A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Shader Effector to Control Dynamic Clones?
Posted: 24 January 2016 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-28

I’m wondering if it’s possible to control clones that have dynamics with a shader effector? I’d like the clones to float in space with the animated noise causing them to shift position and rotate slightly. Right now, the movement of the clones works as expected when dynamics are disabled, but when dynamics are turned on the clones seem to lock up and stop moving. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posted: 24 January 2016 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Joeycamacho,

Would you mind to share a scene file with your set up, preferable reduced to the minimum?

If you have problems uploading the zip file, I can send you an upload link.

In short, a real dynamic scene can’t have influences, because it wouldn’t be dynamically anymore. having said that, each target might lead to a different set up to eventually enable what you need. It’s easier to check with a scene file.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 January 2016 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-04-28

I think I was able to get a look that is close, with some turbulence in in the random effector. I still notice some oddities when it comes to the movements. But I guess that is because I’m cheating the dynamics by introducing the effectors.

File Attachments
shader_dynamic.c4d.zip  (File Size: 98KB - Downloads: 150)

Posted: 24 January 2016 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Joeycamacho!

I think that should work, but if you like to have more control and a cleaner information flow, I have three files in the link. Have a look, please. the Follow Position Rotation parameter is certainly the key here. IF they do not follow exactly then that is based on the mix of dynamic and effector based movement.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/YuLwZVCUaEu3xFFi9Bs0hjrsqvSgwMwQNClwE5Hheem?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

If I get your idea correctly in the scene file (I doubt it with file _01, but I hope it clears the direction), then I would suggest a simple Inheritance Effector solution. This transfers the Dynamic information (I cached it), to a new Cloner Object and from there you can add the additional Effector influences pretty much absolute. As I said, if I get the idea, and I believe that is not what you want, as the clones intersect easily. To clear this, see the file in the link [_01]

The objects might need first that Shader/Random information and then use dynamic to move them around. These are the two other ways.

The best way to see the influence is perhaps to keyframe the Random Effector at frame 100, and set the values at frame 105 faster and perhaps higher in P.Y. Just a thought for testing, to see if the effectors come through.

The differences might be minimal or just enough, you will know better what you are after. With the two step set up you can see more how the first and the second step compares.

A good test about the follow position ration parameter is given with a large animated sphere as a Dynamic Collider, slowly moving through the field.

All the best

P.S.: more to illustrate the two parameters for forum’s sake, I tried to showcase this in an one minute clip. As a side note—The lower these values are, the faster the dynamic seems to take over, which is a theme on its own.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/6ChrJflVMo6fIyVRxDDtior8Oqgyi3CkmgFNgfBLYJl?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 January 2016 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Perhaps this set up is simpler to use. Additionally, the Time Effector takes the complexity out of the equation, so you can explore it much better. To have the movement randomly and the resulting motion as well makes it otherwise difficult to see. Hence why I use here more an scientifically approach, one that keeps the complexity small ;o)

Let it run always from the start after you changed any of the Dynamic Tag>Force parameters.

This should support your predictions in the best way.

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_MOdi_31.c4d.zip  (File Size: 43KB - Downloads: 160)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 January 2016 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2012-04-28

Sassi,

Thanks for all of these examples. They are all very helpful and each scene files is a great learning resource. I haven"t used the time effector before.
They will solve the problem I am experiencing one way or the other. Fantastic!!! Thank you!

Posted: 25 January 2016 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Joeycamacho.

The Time Effector has one great characteristic, it is kind of linear, not random. Hence why I like it so much for more or less complex explorations. With random values, it is harder to observe. However, the Time Effector turns, e.g., rotations back when used with a falloff, which I think might be useful, but can be also pretty annoying.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: