A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

shadow from HDR image
Posted: 12 November 2015 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2014-03-03

Hi,

Is there a way to generate a shadow pass for AE only using an HDR image as the light source?

Tom

Posted: 12 November 2015 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Tom,

There might be a few ways, if I would know a little bit more about your scene, we could check more in detail what you need.

To start the conversation about, or perhaps to share already something that you can tweak to your needs, I have attached a scene file.
The HDRI used here in the scene is from the Content Browser, and sadly only available as a radiance [hdr] format, but for illumination exploration it will work here.
preset://studio.lib4d/Presets/Light Setups/HDRI/Under The Bridge.hdr
Please use your image, I check all three HDR, but the dynamic range is barely over 100%, so it doesn’t make even sense to use them as such.

The idea is to use the HDRI Background option in the Compositing Tag. But to have a clean “pass”, I used a second “Sky” which shows up as Background, and the HDR “background itself is invisible for the camera. Please check the settings with your scene, based on, e.g., Transparent objects etc.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_15_REsc_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 88KB - Downloads: 164)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 November 2015 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Alternative:

A little bit back in time, I liked to set up a “Light Dome” with MoGraph. This can be done roughly with a few clones or as in the example with a lot. The scene (attached) needs an HDRI, or an well exposed integer image. The overall illumination can be adjusted inside of that single light source [child]. Yes the scene attached is heavy, no doubt, but I would go higher, so adjust with a new sphere things to your needs, if that makes sense to you at all.
One way to accelerate this would be to limit values below 5% in the image, or make the Cloner Editable and let XPresso do it, switching off lights below a certain value, there is so much possible. BTW, no GI needed)

It produce a noise free shadow pass right into the Multi-Pass. Switch off Specular in the light source!
If you use Soft Shadow Maps, and find a good balance for your scene, then the first rendering can be stored if only the camera moves.

If you have a strong sun or other heavy light sources in the HDR, you might add individual lights as well, which can improve the overall scene perhaps.
As always, if possible I suggest to use your own HDRI, as you know then that they have exact values, e.g., if done well. Have a look at the link in my signature for tutorials about this. The material is based on over a decade of taking HDRI and over three decades shooting with [D]SLRs, etc.

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_15_REsc_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 64KB - Downloads: 176)
CV2_r17_drs_15_REsc_11.jpg.zip  (File Size: 1053KB - Downloads: 164)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]