A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Creating mesh models from CAD files, then animating the mesh
Posted: 30 October 2015 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-09-08

Hello all,

I am brand new to the C4D world but have used other 3D programs. I’ve been able to create some pretty good stuff so far with C4D. IK, time remapping and metaball physics. But now I’ve been requested to create something I know nothing about. Looking for some guidance.

I have a huge high poly CAD file of a machine. An automotive tire changing machine to be precise. Every nut and bolt is in the model.

My task is to create an animation that shows this complex machine doing human like movements. Transforming from its static state, and basically make it look like it’s “spiking a football”. Thanks upper management!!!

Is there a workflow that will allow me to “skin” only the outer surfaces, kill all of the internal geometry, and create a mesh that I can apply a character rig to? All I want is the “shell” of this machine. I’ll figure out the bizarre rigging, or ask for help if I can get past this major first hurdle.

I can provide images of the machine at this point for what I’m working with but can’t upload the model as it is highly proprietary and sensitive.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any advice you can give.

Dan

Posted: 30 October 2015 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dan,

As usual, a little scene file would help, one object that you would like to reduce to the surface. Images will not tell too much. You can send me a PM here with a download link of a reduced (to a single object, one object from the machine, not merged all into one object) scene file. I keep it hidden (visual and data) and delete it later.

The first question would be, is the “inner geometry” of a single object in any way connected (points, polygons) to the “outer geometry”?

If not, that would be the fastest way. Select one polygon on the outside, then use the Selection>Select Connected [U~W]. With this selection active, you can use then the Selection>Invert [U~I]. Delete the new active polygons. (Of course do all of that only after copying or with a back up model (you might need that)

If that is not the case, it might be a little bit more “leg-work”. Again, I have no model here. Use the Rectangle Selection with Visible Only. In Polygon Mode, as above, select all polygons visible, Shift Key for multiple selections, Then Invert and delete, if no surface (outer) polygon was active.

This would be all so far, besides a hint to check perhaps for Selection Tags that might be available already, just a shot in the blue.

I have recorded a one minute clip, just a visual version of what I wrote above.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/S8uFo73USBHOIGYP4LVYCtxgF55VBkbqsIrJ7UnEP6E?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
You can download the movie for your personal use.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 October 2015 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-09-08

Hello Dr. Sassi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and offer your assistance. I received permission to send you part of the assembly. I’ve sent you a PM with download link.

Yes, there is a lot of inner geometry contacting the outer. You’ll see in the example I sent to you. Again, it’s just one assembly on this machine. There are several more with more nuts, bolts, etc.

I have downloaded the movie you recorded (thank you very much) and will try it.

Thank you again!

Dan

Posted: 30 October 2015 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Dan, for the file and the trust.

I understand this is only part of the whole set up, and my reply can only use this fraction of it. My short answer is, it is not so much hidden inside an object that I would call a container, it is more a question, what will be visible when the camera is set (but there might be always a change)...

My suggestion would be:

The file comes in Groups, place all of them in separate Layers. This gives you an better management of the file. The file hold 223 object, and 223744 polygons. This works even fine on my five year old laptop. I wouldn’t worry to much about too many polygons right now. The top group has many sub-groups, these sub-groups can be established in the Layer Browser as well

After the Layers are established, you can “Solo” them, which results in an much nicer “review” of the whole scene. Perhaps you leave that step out and go directly to:

The next step is to find out what parts will a) never move, b) move, c) need any kind of deformer to move [hydraulic tubes eventually, if flexible] and d) move dependently, but not deform.

After you got all the group a) in one new Layer, you go ahead and create groups for each element that moves independently b) or c) and then place d) accordingly to b) or c)

There are hierarchies, some parts move others and at the same time they are moved by other itself. This needs to be clear, before you start. I use normally a paper for that, after the first rough organization. This helps normally to know where to start, and to not get lost in the amount of single objects.

If you select all (Object Manager) you can set their color now to Attribute Manager>Basic>Use Color>Layer. This helps the next steps a lot. You can switch this color of in the same way.

All of that work has familiarized you already a lot with the parts. This is, from my point of view, a needed step, as in watching footage before one can edit them.

The parts that needs animation might need a new Null to group them nicely [each time], if done in a clean way, the animation should be simple. (Ask me if there is a problem, or something needs to be cleared)

The amount of polygons is not the main concern here, my concern would be a clean mesh. There are a lot of disconnected polygons, etc, which will not render nicely. I have attached a tiny image [the first object in the list], cropped enough to give nothing away, where I used only the Mesh>Commands>Optimization function. Which helped a lot.

Again if you go through the polygons first, you might feel overwhelmed, but grouping them and color them will give you a better idea what really could be deleted. The question remains—if that makes really sense. What I would do first would be a exploration of how much the “Mesh>Commands>Un-Triangulation might help to improve. The first object had 11k polygons after that not even 9K, with a single function. A second one, a Hexagon-Socket-Screw, went from 210 to 110 polygons. (Object Manager>Objects>Object Information), but each use might show some other problems. Note that the smallest polygon in this case must be larger than the “tolerance value”, otherwise you might mess up the mesh. You need to check the Phong Tag as well, I set it to the values in the image. It is an function that needs control. Just using it for the sake of getting a little bit lighter model might end up in many hours work, to replace parts. Hence, I’m not so certain to invest a lot of time here in reduction. Does it really slows your computer down? Keep in mind that all quad polygons will be triangulated during render time. Since we have a mechanical animation here, certainly for the most parts, I see also based on that only a limited advancement here.

Just as a personal side note: The model that you got is compared to many CAD files I saw in my life—very nicely done.

Let me know if there is more to discuss. The mesh is a typical CAD mesh, long triangles and such, not the most desired way for visualization. But that might be a longer theme, and you let me know what kind of quality is expected after all.

One more concern to reduce it, in this case—not as a general rule—what would happen if the “client” decides after all is done, to have an explosion animation to see all parts involved, and then move all parts back, or animate this “explode” view for explanations. If that happens, and clients are that way, you might start over again.

I checked out the options of an Polygon Reduction, but many polygons are not connected, or reduce differently, so the points don’t match—many parts showed gaps after that—even with settings as low as 20%.

My best wishes for the project.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 November 2015 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-09-08

Thank you for you thorough reply. I will go forward using your help.

Dan

Posted: 02 November 2015 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

My best wishes for the project, Dan.

Going through the parts in the file, certainly made me wish to animate them. ;o)

With very little tweaks to do, you have already an excellent base there. I hope you enjoy the work on it.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: