A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Modeling a Fork with Polygons, Part 1
Posted: 18 October 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-01-10

This tutorial stops after a minute or so of playing time. Can you fix?

Posted: 01 November 2012 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-01

Hi…........

Thanks

Posted: 03 September 2015 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2014-05-22

Hi, I’m using R16 while going through this series and have hit on a problem here. Not sure if it’s due to the newer version, or if I’ve missed something. When the narrator uses the optimize function to join points, I do not get the same result. Has this process changed since R11?

thanks,
Frank

Posted: 03 September 2015 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Frank,

Where do you see a use of the Optimize Function in this tutorial? Would you mind to point it out to me? Thanks.

The function has not changed, what has changed is the way it can be “called up”. There is that little cog-wheel in the menu, that allows the access to the interface.

Join the points is dependent on the Tolerance value: too large and neighbor points will be merged as well, too little and you get only a partially effect. Sometimes, if no single value will do, selections are needed, to perform individual task, and get the wanted result.

Let me know what I miss, thanks

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 September 2015 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-05-22

Hi again Doc, Optimize function appears at 5:33. I did try a tolerance as high as 6.0, which still left me with unconnected surfaces. There are no points closer than 10 units or so. Connect and delete appears at 5:01, but all I see in R16 is connect points/edges. Am I missing something here?  I even started the fork over from the beginning, still no luck.

thanks again,
Frank

Posted: 04 September 2015 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Frank.

The interface hasn’t change and I can’t find “Connect Edges”. Edges are based on points, so if the points are fine, the edges follow.

As usual, please provide the model/scene file that cause the trouble.

Note: in the moment a single or more points are selected, only these will be treaded. IF you select an Edge or a Polygon, or several of them, the points of these selections will be considered in the Optimize function.

I will have a look into it.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 September 2015 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-05-22

Looks like I found what I missed. I wasn’t seeing connect objects and delete because i hadn’t switched to model mode. I wasn’t seeing the same menu choices.

thanks again,
Frank

Posted: 04 September 2015 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Frank,

If you talk about the “Object Manager>Objects>Connect and Delete (or as shown with the fly out menu in the tutorial):

This function is grayed -out in the menu if only one object is selected!

This is not dependent on Model vs Object mode for example.

Yes, the Optimize function doesn’t work between objects, it can only work with one object and only with the parts of that single object. (If I would have gotten the scene file, that would have been clear to me instantly, but without, I could not see what step you need, so please, scene files :o)

Have a good one

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 September 2015 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2014-05-22

Thanks, that clarifies things.  I also wasn’t understanding that the menus are different when you right click in the view window as opposed to the more complete menu you get when clicking on an object in the object manager.

thanks again,
Frank

Posted: 04 September 2015 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Frank.

The “fly out menus” or better context menus are specific to a certain area, they change.

The three main options are:

• using the menus from the GUI (graphical user interface)

• using context menus

• using short cuts

... there are other options as well.

I prefer to stick with the main menus while introducing the app. Just to stay what is visible in the interface. To use context menus is another way, but short-cut commands are not my favorite in that state of learning, because they add extra learning stress on top of the it. Well, everyone has a different philosophy. Some even start with introducing the “V” short-cut while starting with people.

In any way, what fits best should be used, but I hope everyone explores the alternative and other options to the mainly used one—I like to go even further, I learned Cinema 4D by going through all the Commands in the Command manager, as each menu might be limited to the parts that are mostly in use. Each “menu-access-option” has a selected set only, mostly based on a two+ decade long discussion what makes sense and what might only clutter the interface. Which will be different for everyone, to say the least. :o)

Again there are more options to access tools, functions and options. But I would limit that for the time the application is already deeply in the muscle memory …

Thanks for exploring it.

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW: