A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

FFD Geometry
Posted: 22 August 2015 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-05-01

I am using the FFD tool and an editable plane object and all along geometry of the plane object where the distortion is being initiated, I am getting strange looking geometry (please see the attached screen grab). I have tried all different settings for the FFD but it seems to just be inherent in the tool itself.
I only have the Broadcast suite but if I had the Studio version then I would likely just use the cloth objects or sculpting tools.

PS. I can’t seem to attach my image to this post and it is less than 1 mb.

Posted: 22 August 2015 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Pablum Picasso,

Please check your private message here on Cineversity, I have send you and upload link.

Perhaps—let me know what your target is, eventually we find an alternative.

I will have a look into that ASAP.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 22 August 2015 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks -I got the screenshot, which doesn’t help a lot, as mentioned in the PM, I prefer a scene file, please just the plane and the FFD and what is connected to it. Thanks.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 August 2015 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-05-01

“...let me know what your target is,...”

I am not sure what you mean with this phrase.

Posted: 22 August 2015 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Each project has a target, what do you would like to achieve with the FFD and the plane? There is perhaps an option to model the shape with Splines and use the Surface deformer instead, etc, etc. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 August 2015 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-05-01

I am trying to model something like a potato chip or thin plastic food bag that looks like it is bulging with contents.

I have resent a newer scene file with a couple of displacer deformers I am using to simulate irregularities in the packages surface appearance.

Posted: 22 August 2015 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the files, Pablum Picasso,

The FFD seems to be added to the model and then pulled outwards. See image. I have set up a new FFD with the same X,Y,Z dimensions, and it is way smaller (yellow vs green in the image). There the pull on the points comes from and with that the overlapping.

My idea of best practice with FFD is, to cover the whole model first with the FFD “cage”—then start deforming. Based on the partial use my idea to set a new one up and use the X,Y,Z then from the old one (via XPresso and points) didn’t work in the way had I hoped for.

The Displacer works, but I had to adjust the weight and the falloff a lot.

I have send you a link, as I wasn’t certain if that file can go public. It is not perfect, but all I could safe—via point transfer/XPresso—and some manual point pulling.

XPresso, I created a FFD that is in size of the area that was wanted. Same Grid-point amount [should be] as the [old] FFD had the right z values, this [should-be] had the right x and y.
So with a cope of [should-be] called then [new], and placed into the model, I just iterated then through the points and got the mesh I needed. (In the file last night I used no {should-be] and took all xyz values from the old, which was not really where I wanted to have it.) I asked if I can share the file, got no answer, so I can’t share the XPresso as a scene-file here—but as an image. See below. Worked great. :o)

FFD cages can be tricky, there is a certain amount of care needed. If you work with a Displacer anyway, perhaps use a gradient [kind-of] map for the main shape and layer the wrinkles on top of that—> “Layer Shader”.

Have a great weekend.

Signature 

NEW: