A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloner Cache
Posted: 15 July 2015 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-06-17

Since I have already cached the cloner, can I move the animation further down the timeline or do I have to re cache?

Posted: 15 July 2015 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shadowgin,

The MoGraph-Cache allows for an “Offset.” This takes the stored information moves it. This might not cover then all the scene time.

Manual:
Offset
A temporal offset can be defined for a calculated cache. The animation will then play with the defined offset to the uncached animation.

If caching takes not considerable time, I would re-cache it.

There are ways to bake the animation into keyframe, which might be—based on the complexity—not really an option. I have discussed this in the Teamwork series.
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/animation_techniques_for_teams_part_01_course

Each scene opens different doors for storing the given information. To answer that generally is difficult.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 July 2015 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

Hi Dr. Sassi

I’ve watched a lot of your tutorials. Thank you very much for creating them. Yes the cache takes a very long time. What I want to do for example is have my cloner animation that I cached say 90 frames. I have camera movements and depth animation. Now I need to extend my camera animation and would like to start the cached animation later in the main scene not the cached. So the 90 cached frames that would start at frame 20 (so the cache originally starts at frame 20), I want to move down the timeline to start at frame 80 (now the cache starts at frame 80 and plays all 90 cached frames). I hope that explains in more detail what I am trying to achieve.

Posted: 15 July 2015 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Shadowgin, and for the nice feedback.

My best advice would be, take a new scene, set up a simplified “dummy” and test. Which is – what I do always, as I do not answer based on “yesterdays” knowledge. Things might change, and so I test at least for each question here.
What I don’t know, is your set up: The combinations can be endless. To name the most difficult influence in terms of caching/offset is certainly “Dynamics”. If you check, the Dynamic Tags have a cache option, but no offset option. You can store this in the MoGraph Tag, but do you switch dynamics off or not, do you need it before or after. Questions over question. Of course, I would say, switch Dynamic off (uncheck: enabled), it is cached and while the MG-Cache is “offset”, the dynamic would work in the non-cached time. Not your target, I guess. But guessing is not pro-like…

Since we have not the option to use as many MoGraph Cache Tags per object as we like to, we have a limitation.

To answer in general is difficult, as such an answer could perhaps fill a book to mention all possible cases. Sometimes re-cahing is simpler. ;o)

If you have a simple file, that represents the set up/problems, I’m happy to have a look into it.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 July 2015 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

Thank You Dr. Sassi

Creating a simple scene and testing that helped. I don’t have any dynamics in the scene. The offset option did the trick. I was trying to avoid recaching because I had 3 other huge caches that would need to be redone. I wish you could save the cache to a folder because it has made my Cinema file huge. Thanks for your help or I should say your years of help. I remembered you were planning on doing a small film using only cinema with a tutorial for it. Have you created that? Just wondering.

Posted: 15 July 2015 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Perfect, Shadowgin.

The missing “save as” option, right—that would be nice. Any minor change in the set up would disable it. While the tag is active, any change that wouldn’t work with the cache is indicated with a red icon: (Nearly) instant feedback, and that might be the reason it is not storable. This feedback wouldn’t be given, if loaded later…

But yes, to have variations would be cool. ;o)

My best wishes for the project

Signature 

NEW: