A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to Stop Dynamic Objects from Vibrating
Posted: 10 July 2015 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

Is it possible to stop dynamic objects from vibrating when resting against one another? I have always had an issue with this, I have experimented with various combinations of friction, dampening, threshold etc… and nothing seems to solve the issue.

To view exactly what I am referring to please open the file I created and create a preview. The animation is working how I intended except for the constant vibration.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

File Attachments
SB_boxes.zip  (File Size: 48KB - Downloads: 177)

Posted: 10 July 2015 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Devoted,

There are certainly many different combinations possible. Each might fit more or less to a given scene.

The Shape for example, if set to automatic, you get an egg like shape around the cubes, perhaps a more spherical shape. So nothing that rests easily. Set the shape (Tab>Collision) of the cubes to “Moving Mesh” and the Floor to “Static Mesh”.

The next parameter that I would choose is to set the floor to a higher Friction, above 100% and lower the same value for the cubes itself. This doesn’t stop the cubes from their initial movement, but slows them down faster. This is mainly based on your idea of it. Find your sweet-spot. Small value, heavy value, if both mark an extreme then the middle of the two, and see which half is closer, then the middle value of the two—etc. The manual states other wise, so test this. One tip, start low for the objects falling, but keep it appropriate for the floor (etc), then when the pile has been established based on the lower values, use a transition to higher values (perhaps a second) to settle them in. However, it never should leave the materials character parameters, e.g., polished chrome tubes vs rough sawed wooden board.

The next, but most important one, from my point of view, is the Tabs>Dynamic>Deactivation. Set this initially to a very extreme number for both fields. If needed change it.

Besides that, yes Friction fields and such might help.

Check also the Projects Settings>Dynamics> Expert—-> there the Step values, and finally, last but not least the Restitution Lifetime for Resting Contact. But the last one perhaps only after all others are checked and tested.

======

As a side not, the set up in the example, provides a lot of initial mayhem to the scene. Th cubes become forced to intersect with each other, as some cubes are “born” at similar location of other cubes path. One Emitter with a “Variant” setting might help here, or an Emitter used with a Cloner—to get more cube sizes established. The cone-object might be not needed after that.

======

If nothing helps, you might have to find other way, to fake it, or blend from dynamic to static—but that is a longer story.

Good luck

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]