A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Whats the best workflow for texture tiling ?
Posted: 07 July 2015 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-12-11

Hi, I have a question about texturing/tiling: there is the texture gizmo, and the texture tag, and for example in the noise texture I can set a P/R/S. What is the best workflow to actually tile a texture, say a procedural, across a floor plane or such.Is it better to scale it within the noise scale parameter, or is it better to scale the texture gizmo, or is it better to scale the UV coordinates, or is it better to scale the “Size” Parameter within the “Texture coordinates” ?

Thanks !

Posted: 07 July 2015 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Emme,

What do you want to do? Do you have a texture “tile” or do you want to create one? Do you want to hide the repetition of a tile-pattern with scaled noise added to it?

It is such a general question that I believe any answer give as well in general will most likely fail.

From my point of view, if the pattern is not a tile naturally, then tiling shouldn’t be done often. Any visible repetition will look odd, but I guess that is not the core of your question.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 July 2015 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-12-11

Hi, Dr. Sassi, my question points more at fundamental dilemma: I have a noise procedural texture or image texture I want to apply to a ground plane.
What is the recommended workflow to tile that texture across said groundplane, as Cinema4D gives me the following options:
1)Use the Texture gizmo and the scale tool
2)Use the texture tag and work with UV tiling
3)Use the Coordinates of the texture tag and dial in values for P/S/R
4)For noise/procedurals I can set a “Scale” in the noise parameters, yet I could also scale the texture via the above mentioned options as well

You see where that leads, I can scale the texture/noise down with UVs tiling, then scale it down even more with the “Scale” option in the noise parameters, and finally scale it again with the Scale coordinates in the coordinates part of the texture tag.

But what is the recommended workflow, or what should I *not* do ?

Posted: 07 July 2015 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Emme, for the more detailed questions.

What is a “Cinema 4D Texture Gizmo”? Even the Help Menu has no answer to that.

The floor object (“Ground Plane”) has no UV to change, the Tiles in the Texture Tag are marked with U and V as tile direction.

PSR values can be used, but you need to know if you work with a 2D/3D shader, a fixed one (e.g., texture/image) or a procedural shader. Not everything will respond in the same way. For example: “Noise” (not simple-noise) will show the quick 2D preview in the editor, but will render a formula based result. The preview is misleading here for tiles, as the quick preview is used, not the real calculation. But not for images, there you can use it perfectly and with the Material Editor>Editor>Texture Size Preview—MB setting, change the quality itself.

However, inside of “Noise” is a “Space” set-up option, which will lead to even more options, and perhaps confusion. If you go there and chose 2D, the Tiles will work as in a quick preview, but any other setting will ignore the tile number (U/V) completely, then scale might be needed, but I would set up the main scale for noise always in the Shader itself. You might never encounter a problem, but doing it at the source of the shader feels always more healthy than later.

Typically I set no tiles, I’m not a fan of such option, as it shows (soon or later). With noise you have most of the time (not always) no repetition. If you find one, mix another noise on top to get this “healed”. I avoid “Simple Noise” and check always for the best Space settings. I often layer two or more Noise patterns, one major and anything else very “light” to be more random.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]