A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

problems with paintng weight maps
Posted: 28 April 2015 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi, I am watching Andy Runyon’s very nice tutorial on weight mapping for the joints. After I painted the pelvis, and started to paint the spine, the map just painted on the pelvis, disappeared. He doesn’t explain this, since it didn’t happen to him, but what am I doing wrong?, thx, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 28 April 2015 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

OK, just realized, when I switched back to the pelvis, my painting came back, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 28 April 2015 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Thanks for updating your thread.

Enjoy!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 April 2015 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, you’re welcome. But, while I am on the topic, in Andy’s tutorial, he paints one arm than the other. Being a novice, I will follow suit, despite any short cuts, since it is best for me to learn by “doing”. Can you please tell me the pros and cons of using the symmetry mode?, Also, he talks about finishing the left arm, and “flipping it” to the other side, what does that mean, ans how can I do that? thx, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 29 April 2015 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Please allow me to request a favor, the questions in this forum are supposed to be not directly related to the tutorials. If there is a question to a specific tutorial, please use the “Help with this Tutorial” button, which is located on the left side in the Information panel. In this way, others will find related questions to a specific tutorial in a much better way.  Thanks you.

The reason that Andy has might differ to what I’m able to share. Talking about “http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/biped_rigging_for_games/biped_rigging_for_games_part_07”, leads me to the following conclusion:

The Symmetry option right from the start, should provide you with the same result. However, the advantages that Andy describe here are no constant update of the other side, and a focus of the parts you work. I don’t think that his example might slow down a current computer, but think of more detailed models, etc. I like for anything where I edit realtime performance, as long as I have to do it for a while. Anything else will drown your energy.

Another idea would be to “flip” it over, which is to my understanding the same as mirroring the result, is, that you could store a state of your work, then explore an other option and compare it. Always with a Auto-Save on, if something might go wrong. With a constant symmetry function enabled, this would be the case, and it would provide any advantages, other than if you done with one side everything is already on the opposite side.

I hope I do not miss anything here.

Tutorials, and that is my idea, some others have a different perspective of course, should first give a base understanding before it becomes specialized. Best practice methods discussions, will say fast for example, will not deliver a deep understanding always. It is not simple to keep the balance. I think Andy does a great job here, is well paced and shows even exceptions. IF you ahve this down, perhaps make copies and explore to find your very own rhythm ;o) (You know about the 10.000 mistake rule… embrace it.)

Thanks for your interest
Enjoy your day

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 April 2015 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Thanks Dr. Sassi, and request concerning questions w/specific tutorials, granted ; )

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 29 April 2015 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much, Craig, for the feedback and understanding.

I’m not really into rules—as an artist: of course not, tehehe, but here it is more to make everyones life easier. Thank you very much for that.

Have a great day.

Signature 

NEW: