A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

*Transparency* Tab in Reflectance
Posted: 21 March 2015 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-02-06

When the Transparency channel is turned on a *Transparency* tab shows up under Reflectance with some basic reflection settings.  What is the purpose of this as the settings don’t seem to make any difference?

Thanks.

Posted: 22 March 2015 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi FK,

In a nut-shell: to separate information gives you more control about the result. I couldn’t find any tutorial about, only the Manual content. However, to illustrate the idea, please open the attached file. If you like, change the settings of “layer 1” and “transparency” independently, to see what it does. My suggestion, check out first the “Reflection Strength” then the “Roughness”. With the separate passes enable (Multi-Pass and in the Material itself) you gain now access to the results of the different reflections. With this, you can manipulate these of course in Ps or Ae for example and gain the before mentioned control about. The effect might be minimal in most cases, but if a shot needs that kind of control, you might be n heaven to fine-tune with these options. For me, the ability to combine or separate information shows a pro-feature. I hope you like the example and even the little set up creates an clear demonstration about the base idea of it. I think it is nice to have.

Some values can be set over 100%, and with that you might gain a lot of new options for the “final mix (render)”.

The multi-pass option (see attached files) is chosen here to show the result of this option, not to say that is the only way how it works.

My best wishes

I guess the ** indicates that you have read the information form the manual :o) already!
MANUAL/HELP:
* Transparency * tab
A * Transparency * will be added when the material channel Transparency is enabled. This tab contains reflection settings, however without Color or Mask settings, among others. The settings in this tab let you control the inner total reflection’s reflective properties (which has not possible prior to R16).
Normally, these settings do not have to be modified. If you’re not trying to achieve a very unusual effect, these settings can be left as they are.
This tab cannot be copied or deleted.
Tip: The Total Inner Reflection must be enabled in the Transparency channel and Refraction should be set to 0.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_REtr_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 179KB - Downloads: 185)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 March 2015 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-02-06

Dr. Sassi,

My setup was insufficient to see any different results.  Yours works great and I can see what it does now.

Thank you very much.

FK

Posted: 23 March 2015 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi FK,

You’re welcome. Yes, to get it strongly visible one need to find a sweet-spot. As the manual states, “a very unusual effect”. ;o)

Thanks for your question and feedback.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]