A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

visible texture-invisible model?
Posted: 11 March 2015 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi gentlemen, I have a model, and I am animating the texture, w/alpha,keyframimg the offset V. It is moving down, ( my model is vertical, like a casule) but I’d prefer to have it move, sort of upper left, to lower right. Is it possible to make a texture visible, while the model is invisible?-this way, i can manipulate/rotate the model to my liking. Thank you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 March 2015 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

This needs an “Alpha Channel” information. If you share an example file with the “label” texture, I’m happy to explore it.

If you like to see only the front side of the label, but not the backside,

I have set up two versions, one with the text covering the complete object, and one with half of it. As a partial alpha will not work for the whole object, we need to introduce a second material to it. (A hold alpha beyond border is not a given). I also have set up the front,back, both for the Texture Tag, just as a reminder (it is key-framed—press play)

Let me know if the example answers the question or if there is something else, I’m happy to look into it.
All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXla_01.zip  (File Size: 91KB - Downloads: 189)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 March 2015 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thank you. I have used this technique before, it does work well. My problem is, well I marked up the file, I am having problems controlling the direction. Perhaps I need to make new UV coordinates?-if you van enlighten me, I’d be a smarter person…I think ; )-Craig

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 March 2015 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Craig. I never have had problems with this set up—if you like to share some details, I look into it.

Your file was set up to Projection>Frontal, which is kind of a dangerous set up. It is independent from any camera position, always the same location in the image-frame, the same movement as well, if the texture coordinates are animated. Again: This is a rare setting to use, as it ignores even any object movement as well, not to be confused with “Flat”.

I have set up the scene how I understood your notes.

The “NULL” under the object is not really needed, but I use it to remind me that the TEXTURE TAG uses only “relative positions”. With this set up the POS_ROT null [red circle] will allow to produce as well “relative coordinates”.

I move the Texture Space (cylinder—in this case) along a spline [blue] and a spline.rail [green] to have absolute control. This moves the yellow noise line exactly as I want it.

Note that the “Tile” is off for this. (I left your material in the Object Manager, but switched it Off: X). The smaller the texture space is, the better the resolution, except when you use a shader of course, which are most of the time resolution independent.

To answer your question about UV[W], I think that it is just fine, no concerns here.

[I switched the Reflectance off for the neurons-backdrop—just for demo purposes, to see the effect in a better way, please switch it on when you have explored the set up]

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXmo_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 295KB - Downloads: 183)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 March 2015 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: just an idea for an extra pass for the yellow “ring”

:o)

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXmo_02.c4d.zip  (File Size: 456KB - Downloads: 177)
 Signature 

NEW: