A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Tapering the upper part of surface
Posted: 06 February 2015 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-03-24

I have looked all around for a tutorial for help on this project I am experimenting on.
I have a curved partial tube shape that I would like to be able to control the taper of from its top surface. I would also like to maintain the non-destructiveness of allowing me to continue to control the height of the object. There is 3D text that sits on the top of the curved partial tube. I used a small bit of Xpresso to keep this relationship pretty well but the tapering that I want to do is throwing me off.
I am including a project file that has three curved tubes to show my point. The first is my end result. The second shows what I would like to do with the tapering. The last is just demonstrating that this can grow upwards.
I tried the mesh deformer and did build a cage, but the control of the points was not very smooth since I was doing it point by point and if the tube shape grows in height beyond the bounds of the cage then I have other problems. I would like to control this with an effector somehow but I feel I’m just pounding sand.
If anyone can help, it is much appreciated.

File Attachments
WhatIWouldLike.c4d.zip  (File Size: 131KB - Downloads: 339)

Posted: 06 February 2015 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Edgepark,

I have attached two sketches here. The FFD as well the Cage Deformer can use Point selection, to store previous selected points. So the handling is not that complicated.

The other example uses a Shader Effector as Deformer and a Gradient to get this animation done. Have a look in to the file.

The second file contains my favorite, as it is perhaps simpler than the ones before.

The idea was to use the Falloff to limit the influence and to use the Gradient to adjust the effect. You can animate the gradient with the red or green Null, or move both with “their” parent. Of course the Gradient by itself can be animated or adjusted to your liking.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_ANta_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 51KB - Downloads: 319)
CV2_r16_drs_15_ANta_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 60KB - Downloads: 215)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 February 2015 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-03-24

Thanks again Dr. Sassi. It seems like I over think things and get myself in trouble. I really appreciate your help.

Posted: 06 February 2015 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Edgepark!

Let me know if there is anything else.

Speaking of “complex”, I have attached a simple, but somehow complex set up for this: Spline Rail combined with a PoseMorph. Just to give more options. ;o)

Have a great day.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_ANta_21.c4d.zip  (File Size: 46KB - Downloads: 310)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 February 2015 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.:  Just for the fun of it, here is another option, it has some nice options—I sketched two of them.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_ANta_31.c4d.zip  (File Size: 379KB - Downloads: 295)
 Signature 

NEW: