A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Exporting paths to illustrator
Posted: 15 January 2015 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-12-20

Hi. I have big problems exporting vector files from c4d R16 to illustrator.

My problem is that I get every line from my objects is visible in illustrator. So I tried different settings on a simple object(a cube) and it worked just fine, the lines that are hidden in editor view does not export to illustrator just as I want it to behave… So I use the same export settings for my real object(a merged stp file, maybe that is the major problem here) but I get the hidden lines exported to illustrator and do not know what to do. I have to deliver vector paths to client. Anyone know of a plugin or workflow that can solve this I would be very grateful. I will have to do perhaps 10-15 images in total in this manner.

/Carl

File Attachments
FRAMSIDA_CEL.zip  (File Size: 222KB - Downloads: 205)

Posted: 15 January 2015 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-03-24

Did you try exporting out as .dpx file? I think Illustrator likes those files.
Since the end image is pretty sharp and lacking any camera blur, why not just export it as a .jpg or .psd and have Illustrator just convert the artwork to vector? It sounds like you don’t need the back faces or anything.

Posted: 15 January 2015 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CarlBjorndal,

This question comes up—once in a while. However, there is not a solution for that. To filter the lines via the S&T interface might help to get things more organized, e.g., edge-selections. Having had a look in your file, I believe some work needs to be done first, as these intersecting objects, as they are now, will not allow for an easy “select only visible” edge selections rendering. (see image).

Some workarounds sometimes help, but to get a single path out of many, I fear I haven’t seen that in the past two decades with Ai.

One case where I found “something”, but perhaps not for your question:
http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1470/

The idea was here to use all the lines, give them a stroke thickness and merge all of them, clean it up and go from there. Have a look in the post of that thread.

Certainly something that I would like to seen more often suggest here:
http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: I have attached a little file. Rendered as Ai and deleting the “Surface” by “Same: Color”, then stroke, outline, Shape mode merge, clean path, simplify. Typical Ai stuff.
The images are based on your file, without change so much, same method, with more care, more is possible, but sorry, no one push button idea

File Attachments
CV2_mix_drs_14_STpt.zip  (File Size: 76KB - Downloads: 202)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 January 2015 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-12-20

Thank you all for your answers. I guess it is, as in so many other cases, depends on what kind of quality of source material. In this case it is bad CAD files of different flavors.

The specification that the client wants is simple vector paths where the line thickness have to be very precise and adjusted for the artworks size in print. Not really my kind of preferable work…

Have a nice weekend, Carl

Posted: 16 January 2015 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Carl,

Yes, I CAD might work nicely for blue-prints, but more often than not, it is not a good idea to use for visualization. For many reasons.

With my suggestion to outline the stroke in Ai and use only the “fill”, will only work if one knows the final size, etc.

While the film industry in Munich where kind of “Chapter11”, back in time, I worked for three years as package designer, to get my own projects financed. With 200 products “wrapped” which were then printed all over the world, I learned pretty quickly to not use strokes thickness as delivery. With the Fill only (outlined) and the stroke to transparent I had never problems.
So, my suggestion is based on many years of dealing with print-houses of many countries. IF you get the specs for the work, you might deliver what is needed. Don’t let the print office scale your work—never ever. :o)

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]