A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

EXTERNAL Compositing Tag & Nulls
Posted: 31 December 2014 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2006-06-20

Can someone explain the logic of having a choice to place the Anchor Point of an Ext Comp Tag at different positions (Center, Upper Left, Lower Right, etc) only to have After Effects ignore this when parenting an object and defaulting to the upper left?

Am I missing something?  I like my Nulls with their Axis Centered so I can scale and manipulate right from the center of the AE Null outline.  But I always have to offset the Position of my AE Object to match the Anchor Point offset of the Null I am parenting to.  It is just an inefficient approach.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

TAK

Signature 

“Nothing is Easy”
     ————Jethro Tull

Posted: 01 January 2015 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi TAK,

The Area that is positioned with the Center, Top Lef/Right or Bottom Left/Right, allows to place your Images inside of it. The Anchorpoint for the Font is not set to the middle point of that “Solid”.

The typical workflow is to select that Solid/Layer and an image from the Project. While holding down option or alt [key], the Solid is replaced with image while dragging it onto the Solid in the “timeline”. The transparence needs to be set after that, as it is typically to 0%.

Text is created and has an anchor point as the solid, not so much different. To have the luxury of the above mentioned “replacement”, one needs to create a Pre-Composite, and drag that in the same way on top of the Solid, with option/alt key down.

The size that you can specify in C4D, e.g., 200x100, should be the same as the Pre-comp, to have a “same size replacement” for the solid, considered the scale isn’t altered.

The more common way is to link the Font layer to the Solid (Option click on the position “clock”) and drag the “whip” [@] to the position of the Solid, then adjust the font position and scale, etc.

If there is a direct option to drag the fond on a solid and have it scaled and positioned as the solid frame, is not to my knowledge. I typically use the scale, as a “fit to solid” would perhaps scale both—x and y—independent (similar to the Fit to Comp Width, Mac: Opt. + Shift + Command + H / PC: Alt + Shift + Control + H). Perhaps that helps already a little bit.

- See more at: http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/10-essential-after-effects-shortcuts/#sthash.igxwG2Ja.dpuf I haven’t asked for that feature so far.  There might be some scripts available.

Happy New Year

Attached three version of Solids, more to provide a forums based complete information

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_AEec_01.zip  (File Size: 44KB - Downloads: 93)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]