A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Issue wrapping object with Spline Wrap
Posted: 14 November 2014 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

I am building out circuit board lines with splines and sweep objects to wrap along a spline from my model.

I can’t figure out how to get the sweep object to keep its form and not get totally bent out of shape.

Project File

- help

Posted: 14 November 2014 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Raul,

My first idea was to use the UV, as I had it in my mind, but it has changed and can’t be used in that way for it. The Surface Deformer would work otherwise in a much faster way to achieve this, assuming I know what you want to do, as I guess I got a simplified version (as I ask for :o)

The first thing that I changed was the interpolation method of the Spline. Linear and adaptive makes no sense. Adaptive introduces new (generated, not “visible”) points to the spline if the angle of the curve reaches a limit. A linear Spline has not that kind of curve. Even projected, it stays linear, and with that, the little amount of points is the only information that can be changed.

I rotated the model so I was able to project from my “view” the given Splines (well I connected them for simplicity). I changed the axis of a copy of the spline, so the object origin was in the middle of the head, and scaled it (for x,y,z, each time differently, so the size would work as rail).

I switched off “Scale - Rail” in the Sweep [NURBS] and got even with a few points of the Spline a nice result. You might improve it with a “higher resolution”.

With the “rail” I like to achieve that the lines on the head lay flat (0.5/5.0) was the setting of your Rectangle. Keep that in mind while you scale the copy of the Spline, that each part of it works like a target.

I have deleted the head out of your model, as I think you work on an larger project and don’t like to have things public right now.

All the best
Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MOsp_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 56KB - Downloads: 136)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 November 2014 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: I haven’t suggested the Edge-To_Spline, as I saw a selection on your model and so I presume that you tried that already.

But—how about the Polygon Pen Tool? See image. I Extrude the result, In Brush mode it is very fast.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 November 2014 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

Your approach is interesting. The goal I am trying to achieve is to have computer circuit line patterns (I will design in illustrator) wrap around the model. I wanted to use the sweep objects to grow them out each individually over time.

I was hoping to use the spline wrap as a quick solution for wrapping the splines across the surface of the object. Otherwise I would have to do it all by hand which it looks like that is what you did in your first example.

Thank you tho for that file. At least now I know how to do it correctly if it comes down to doing it by hand.

Posted: 14 November 2014 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the additional information, Raul.

My suggestion for the Ai file: Wrap it like a sphere around the head first, use the Wrap Object in spherical mode, and leave the neck part open [see image]

Use then the “Current State To Object” command to get the spherical spline as result. Move the axis of that object in the middle of the head.

With that, the Sphere projection around the head should be easier, and way more predicable.

Take a copy and scale it from its middle point so the Sweep has a rail and the growing idea will work much nicer.

All the best

Sassi

Images: the Spline (2D!), the Wrap (set adjustments to cover only the parts where you like to have it), the projected version.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 November 2014 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Dr. Sassi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a shot.

Best wishes,

-Raul

Posted: 14 November 2014 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Raul.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: