A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

skin wrap around with custom pattern
Posted: 03 October 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-08-12

Hi,

I’ve got a problem where I have a custom geometric pattern.

I have made it so the pattern starts to appear around the skin with it wrapping round - growing up the limbs. (see attached)

In the attachments the triangular shapes within the pattern are not cut around each individual shape but are cut randomly across the pattern. I want the pattern to be cut so the shapes inside are cut perfectly.

I’ve achieved this look by using a mesh body
-then add hair object.
-making each hair triangular by changing thickness.
-changing root to ‘as guides’.
-then adding a poly fx to make it appear over the limbs/ body.

It’s just the precise cutting of the pattern which i would like to achieve.

If you can help then I’d really appreciate it.

Posted: 03 October 2014 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Adamwilkes,

“It’s just the precise cutting of the pattern which i would like to achieve.”

Here is my suggestions, please check the file.

I took a flat triangulated polygon and deformed it randomly. This result was then projected on the “body”, in the attached scene to a Sphere. A real body might force you to set up a good UV map, so the projection works fine. (In the Surface Object you can use the Offset parameter, to have the triangle initially “under the skin” so they can move through the skin later on)
In the moment this was done, I used the “Object Manager>Objects>Current State to Object, to have a Polygon Object only. (If you like to leave that step out, the Polygon needs to be a child of a Null and the PolyFX is then as well a child of the Null)

In the UV Manager, I selected all polygons of that triangulated object and used the UV Max function in the UV Manager. This creates a nice triangle for all polygons equally. Which allows for the texture with the border to be applied in a simple way.

I have used polygon selections to determine where each of my three textures will be, you have more, but for the sketch here three is fine.

Anything else is from here on PolyFX and Random Effector based.

The Cloth Surface is not needed, but in case you like to have thickness, use it. The texture will use the border for the sides.

I hope that helps.

I think that is the fastest way to do it, especially compared to Subsurface Polygon Displacement methods, which would create very long render times. Here the preparation might take some time, but you stay most of the time in polygons, which might be a good time to get the Polygon Pen to know, for some detail work perhaps.

Good luck with the project

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGpt_01.zip  (File Size: 269KB - Downloads: 126)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]