A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bouncing Cubes Logo Effect, Part 1
Posted: 13 September 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Quick note.  The instructor fails to mention that the MP3 sound file he downloaded from the internet is not compatible with C4D.  Audio requirements, from the help files, states:

###

Sound File

Load a .wav or .aif sound file into this field. The files must be uncompressed.

The following is supported:

11,22 kHz and 44 kHz
8-bit and 16-bit

###

Helps to know as MP3 audio pops and stutters in C4D.

All the best,

Jerome

Posted: 13 September 2014 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

Yes, interesting theme. It has changed with each release and it got more forgiving each time. Which doesn’t mean one should use the lowest format possible: mp3 or aac.

Let me add to this, it is similar to images or any material we use, we should use the best source possible, not a delivery format. The MP3 or AAC files are certainly nice for enduser-distribution, small and stable, but for production they are nearly as bad as compressed MPEG/h.264 for movies or lossy JPG for textures. You get only out what you put into, and mostly less of it.

I’m not happy with 44.1 khz either, as with all broadcast material—we need to deliver 48khz. I highly recommend to use whatever file works in C4D for everyone, but for the final delivery, use the best file possible or requested. Get the exact requirements from the station you work with!
Last week I got for a project of mine a CD track from Moby, in 44.1khz, which I have converted in a specific sound application into 48KHZ, 24bit. Sound conversions should be done in applications that works internally in floating point precision, while checking the values as well. Which should be done at the same time one needs to adjust speed if needed, 23.976 to 24fps etc for longer clips. Avoid repetitive and cascading adjustments.
Note that khz and bit depth work both on the quality. Like two axis on a graph, khz time wise and bit depth how many steps are sampled. One alone might not be sufficient to get a good quality, but need to be a good match.

For the work in C4D the 8bit versions might work faster, but they are very limited.

All the best
Sassi

The manual states this (R16)

Reference> CINEMA 4D> CINEMA 4D Prime> Appendix> File Formats
Sound Formats
The following native sample sizes (with arbitrary sampling rate) are supported for sound files:
8, 16 and 24-bit

WAV Import
Only uncompressed WAV files are supported.
Markers included in the WAV files are imported into CINEMA 4D.

AIFF-Import
Uncompressed Mac sound files are also supported.

QuickTime
Furthermore, all sound files with formats other than those listed above and available in QuickTime can be played back if QuickTime is installed, i.e., *.mp3 and *.aac files.
Internally, these will be converted to 44.1kHz in 16-bit and saved within the Project file.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 September 2014 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

That’s interesting, another section of the help menu, CINEMA 4D > CINEMA 4D Visualize, Broadcast, Studio > MoGraph Effectors > Sound Effector fails to mention this.

Either way, I agree, using consumer grade A/V CODECs is always a bad idea.

Posted: 13 September 2014 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

... or have a look here. [Effector tab, RMC right mouse click on the word “Sound File” in orange in the screenshot, see second image]

If the sound is played, and creates problems, make certain that the fps of the project is also the preview fps for the time-line.

=======

Jerome, please let me know if you have any problems with the set ups.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]