A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

debosed letterd on a poly model
Posted: 03 September 2014 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi I would like to deboss a word on an egg shape, boolean was not working well, so I sculpted the words, using a stamp with a AI file-it works fine, but are there any other ways? displacement and bump were not working, distorting the egg model -also, ideally, would love to use a texture for the egg, and another for the the word, ie, an orange egg, and blue type. Are there other options for me to explore?, thank you

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 03 September 2014 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

There are certainly some ways. What went wrong with the displacement? This should always work (SPD).

Would you mind to share a sketch or at least the what font do you use and how many letters? Serif non serif.

For Displacement, use a model with a nice and high resolution. The texture should be at least in 16bit/c and hi resolution as well. The key for the font is—that it has to be slightly blurred, to allow for some change in depth at all. Just black and white with no gray tomes, might be not preferable. Check the Rounding options in the “Sub-Polygon Displacement”, and perhaps start with level 4 but 6 or 7 might work.

(Besides that, perhaps try to make an un-peeled model and wrap that around something egg like. Surface Deformer, etc.)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 September 2014 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thanks. Iused a 300 dpi PSD for the words, 8 bit cmyk. I also tried a surface deformer w/boolean-here is my screen shot-notice the jagged edges on the word

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 03 September 2014 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

I can’t see a screenshot.

For SPD just use a grayscale image, to keep the size small. The idea of dpi has no relevance inside of 3D. The absolute pixel numbers are critical. I avoid for anything inside of my pipeline “8bit/c” at all. It has no place in my world. I just finished a 4K movie in 16bit/c coming from raw 6K 16bit/c—I know it is huge, but a hard drive of 4TB is around $150 (times two for backup), not a reason for me to scarifies quality.

In CMYK the black channel is not as useable as it could be, as most lower values are created out of CMY and K is only for the real and pure blacks, roughly said. Check the channels in your image, your material might be different.

I will wait to see your screen shot to say more.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]