A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Thinking Particles, PAlignment (PTimer, etc)
Posted: 29 August 2014 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

Using PTimer, I’m able to change the position of the emitter, but am unable to change the alignment and am wondering if there’s a reason why.  Am I doing something wrong?

Please see attached file.  Particles should be shooting upwards, no?

Thanks!

Jerome

File Attachments
tp 35 (PTimer).c4d.zip  (File Size: 44KB - Downloads: 183)

Posted: 29 August 2014 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

Please check the attached file. I have added a PShape to make it more visible. The time is set to 30 frames and I have animated the “Reposition Null” of your scene.  The alignment will happen now more clearly.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. I linearized the information in the XGroup, which wasn’t leading to any problems before, but my first step always. You might see also that the nodes are positioned that way (left to right, next row)

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_TPal_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 50KB - Downloads: 180)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 August 2014 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Again, Sassi, I owe you an apology.  I didn’t explain myself very clearly.  I didn’t mean aligning the particles, I meant aligning the emitter.

After seeing your sample file, I realized my mistake and made a version of what I was trying to do without using the PTimer.

Jerome

File Attachments
tp 35 (my apologies).c4d.zip  (File Size: 62KB - Downloads: 187)

Posted: 29 August 2014 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

NO problem here, Jerome.

The scene looks quite different now and the PTimer is completely gone, so I guess I have your OK to change the headline of this thread.

The direction of the PShape is not dependent of the Emitter direction, if that was part of the question, you will find an answer in the attached file.

For the 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 I use the Logic “Is Null”, which gives out the opposite each time, if used in Boole connections.

The XGroup is sorted now.

Just a little hint, this could also be done with one Emitter, but all of that is always a question of your target, so I went with the two here.

Have anice weekend (U.S. Holiday on Monday)

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_TPal_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 58KB - Downloads: 131)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 August 2014 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09
Dr. Sassi - 29 August 2014 09:47 PM

NO problem here, Jerome.

The scene looks quite different now and the PTimer is completely gone, so I guess I have your OK to change the headline of this thread.

Sorry, the scene was just an example of what I was trying to accomplish with the PTimer, but since I couldn’t get it to work with PTimer, I did another version without.

If you want, you could call this thread, Thinking Particle, PTrial & PError.  8^P (Just kidding!)

The direction of the PShape is not dependent of the Emitter direction, if that was part of the question, you will find an answer in the attached file.

I only changed the direction of the PShapes to emphasize that the emitter was pointing in a different direction (it was for illustrative purposes only).

For the 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 I use the Logic “Is Null”, which gives out the opposite each time, if used in Boole connections.

Now that is awesome.  Hadn’t run into “Is Null” yet—or if I did, hadn’t retained the info.

Fundamentally, what I wanted to do was align the emitter with the PSetData’s alignment input, when, instead, it aligns the particles as your example clearly illustrates.

Thank you.

Jerome

Posted: 30 August 2014 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hehe, changing the thread name is only based on the idea that others know what the main theme is. Thanks for being easy with it, Jerome. Yes, PErhaps those names would work as well.

Your Range-Mapper set up works of course, no concerns other than readability of the scene, perhaps more of a habit on my side, but I thought you like the little hint.

Perfect, the point what and where becomes aligned seems clearer now, I avoid the absolute term clear here, as we never know in which combination we might have to have a look again ;o)

You’re welcome.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: