A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Xpresso 101 20 20 1010bit
Posted: 15 August 2014 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Everybody disco!

This is not necessarily about the array of light or the Bitmap node, but this lesson reminded me of the Saturday Night Fever floor and I was wondering if anybody might know of an efficient way to create the time switcher.

I created one, but I’m not really happy with it.  Six nodes to create a simple 1,2,3 switch?  There has to be a better way.

Parameters are to be able to set the pacing of the switching, once per second, twice per second or three times per second.

All the best,

Jerome Olivier

File Attachments
xPresso 101 lesson 20.zip  (File Size: 54KB - Downloads: 210)

Posted: 15 August 2014 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Please note that if I would try to focus only on the most efficient way, I would use “mostly” the formula node and call it a day. This is not a race :o) nor a competition. :o) The content of each lesson is based on my ideas how to get people up to speed with it. It will be always too detailed, to short, too long… you get the idea!? :o) First walk, then run, and you run already well.

But, yes, nice that you work and search for alternatives and of course explore more efficient ways. As I see not a problem with the tutorial here: good night for now, enjoy your weekend!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 August 2014 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

I’m not racing anyone, nor am I competing.  Just learning. 8^)

Posted: 15 August 2014 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Cool :o) Enjoy the ride and have fun

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 August 2014 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

So, Jerome Olivier, I had to rise up early this morning (before sunrise) to avoid “the traffic” here in L.A. and down the “5”, hence I was a little bit short last night: sorry about that. I’m back from “RED” and I had finally time to have a glimpse on your file. Seems you have fun with it.

I think it is a good idea to use the colors to get a clean set up in your file, well done.

You will find that this is a first step to create an illumination model for image based lighting. (Which can be set up way faster in MoGraph of course). The XPresso option allows, perhaps, to do something more individual.

Enjoy your weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 August 2014 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Hey Sassi,

Gotta love LA.  Have you been to the WGA/W’s Library?  Great selection of screenplays and a beautiful sanctuary to the art of writing.

Yes, I’ll have to start using MoGraph more, but still want to focus as much as possible on expresso for the time being.  Figure out how to use the glue so I can make the pieces stick together once I move onto bigger and better things.

Jerome Olivier

Posted: 16 August 2014 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Off-Topic

Thanks for the idea, “The Writers Guild of America” is certainly worth a visit, so far I have considered them only as a copy-write uups copy-right deposit. ;o) Since the late ‘80s I have co-written many screenplays. But I’m only on my second (excluding shorts) in English. (My vocabulary in German is roughly tens times of my English, but my English-vocabulary is certainly larger than any other language… ;o)
To have my own RED-Dragon is certainly part of my “Berlin/Munich Background”, being involved in “author/director” film-making since ~1987. Which I do and will continue todo here in L.A. of course. CINEMA 4D, as I called it already over a decade ago, is “My Studio In A Pocket” and even for my practical film-work, it is a great pre-visualization tool. Never want to mis it.

Where I was here in the past ~decade is not a big secret, check my panoramas, you will find over 500 of them here: https://plus.google.com/110784099379805584044/posts

/off-topic

MoGraph and XPresso can work greatly together. Yes, focus on one first to get fluent in it, so MoGraph is even more fun. At least it is for me, since I was part of the introduction team at NAB in 2006. Never lost interest in it, it is a great collection of tools and functions.

Enjoy your weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 16 August 2014 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

off topic

Great work & best of luck on all your future projects.  Enjoy the Dragon—from what I understand, it’s an incredible camera.  Regarding language, I know exactly how you feel, having struggled with it in the past as well.

/off topic

Posted: 16 August 2014 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

OT
Thanks a lot, Jerome Olivier. Yes, the camera is fun and I hope to use it for the next tutorial series here.
Language, long story, and whoever walked in these shoes knows ...  I can only say, communication is based on intelligence, not on vocabulary. Thanks for your nice communication :o)
/ot

Signature 

NEW: