A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Xpresso 101 19 X-Group
Posted: 14 August 2014 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Just some quick observations:

1. Shouldn’t the range mapper’s input lower remain at zero and the input upper be set to frame rate?  This way the expression follows the spline, instead of being a mirror reflection of it (0 remains 0 and 1 remains 1, instead of 0 becoming 1 and 1 becoming 0).

2. Also, is there an advantage to entering the frame rate value manually?  Wouldn’t using the Time node’s Frame Rate make the expression more flexible?

Either way, I think I understood most of it, though I did need to watch it a couple of times to get everything.

All the best,

Jerome Olivier

PS
Hope I’m not being too exacting.

File Attachments
xpresso 101 lesson 19.c4d.zip  (File Size: 35KB - Downloads: 166)

Posted: 14 August 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

1. You can set the Range Mapper to what you like, it doesn’t affect the use of the X-Group. ;o)

(Keep in mind that if the lower input is set to 1 it will “lift” any value to a certain degree; As long as the upper value is not adjusted accordingly, it will move gradually with this set up between the values. Is there a right or wrong? Nope, there is only what you need for your project. To place a zero there would be certainly a good idea, if that fits to your idea how it has to work. It’s just an example.) :o)

2. You could do that as well, then connect the Math>Modulo in the same way, if you like to have that kind of integration/information flow. Again, there is a lot of things possible, in any mix, as long as it serves your purpose.

The key part here is the handling of the X-Group, but also to give some hints of what is possible.

Ask away if you find something is not clear, the idea is mostly to showcase things, repeat parts, etc, if you like to have it in a different way, do it: explore.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 August 2014 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

I understand.  Thank you.

Posted: 14 August 2014 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jerome Olivier.

That you can analyze these scenes already with that amount of crispness shows me only that something is working here very well ;o) NICE.

The main idea with the Range Mapper is to convert data, which can be clamped or not. If not clamped the areas outside of the upper and lower will be linear! What ever needs to follow the spline is defined with the upper and lower input and translated to the output lower and upper.

Thanks for your interest :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 August 2014 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Thank you for your encouragement and generosity.  8^)

Posted: 14 August 2014 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

It’s fun to see your progress, Jerome Olivier.

Keep going.
Take care

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: