A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Adding Step Effector to a Repeating Animation
Posted: 19 July 2014 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

Basically I have a cloned object that follows a spline. I have animated the offset from 0 to 50 over 115 frames to make the cloned objects move along the spline. I have added a random effector to rotate, scale etc… the cloned objects. I need the cloned objects to start tight to the spline at the beginning and expand away from the spline at the end. I added a step effector to acheive this and it works perfectly except it restarts every 115 frames. The result is expanding cloned objects behind tight cloned objects then it resets. I know it is resetting because the offest animation is repeating. Is it possible to stop this? Should I be using a different method to achieve this?

If this isn’t a quick fix I could upload a C4D demo displaying the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Posted: 19 July 2014 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, Devoted, a scene file will be the best idea. I need to see the set up.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 19 July 2014 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Thank you Dr. Sassi, do you ever take a break? Seems like you always answer my posts 24/7.

I uploaded the demo. I would like the cloned objects to basically stay in the position of frame 0.

Thanks again.

File Attachments
DebrisDemo.zip  (File Size: 413KB - Downloads: 176)

Posted: 20 July 2014 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Dr. Sassi I solved the problem. I added a cone shape falloff and positioned it over the area I wanted the step effector to alter. I works perfectly now. Thank you for helping! Have a great rest of the weekend.

Posted: 20 July 2014 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sorry, Devoted, I missed your earlier post. Yes, (taking a break) sometimes I have to go shopping and such ;o)

So, no further actions needed? Great!

Thanks for the feedback.

Have a great weekend as well

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 July 2014 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Devoted,

I had to take a look into your file of course. The first idea was to progressively offset a spline copy of the path, and use this as “Falloff” in the Effector. But based on the curves in your spline, there were overlapping areas, so no real solution.

So I went with my “classic” set up of such things. First I set up a linear version of it, and then care about the “spline”.
The problem here is that the deformation that the Spline-Wrap-Deformer would introduce to the clones. The Matrix Object might come to mind to solve this, but I like the polygon solution more. Which means I produce first single polygons and do what ever I like with it, then use them as Object in the Cloner and place the clones in their center.

You have now the option to control the Falloff in a linear way, use the Spline-Wrap, to follow your spline. (I have set up a fixed Bounding box for that, just in case). The only limitation is that the Scale from the Random effector will not survive such cascading information.

Besides that, to change anything in that set up is easy. If the spread out of the “chunks” has to be inversed, just set the Falloff in the Effector from + to -, or vice versa. Done.

I ahve set up as well the “repeating” offset value. It goes from 0-100%, but after that it doesn’t start from 0%, it continues, as the “Track After” uses here the “Offset version, and that accumulates instead of reaping only.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_MGdd_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 51KB - Downloads: 182)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 July 2014 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: As a rule of thumb, I post Formula stuff after a solution. I have the feeling in the moment I use a Formula, most people run. I used a Formula Effector with just a “1” in the formula field before the Plain Effector was introduced. Pretty much the same function, but guess which one is more in use?

Having said that, and hopefully motivated to follow me for a minute here ;o) What would you say if the complete set up would be as simple as using the Formula like the Plain Effector?

OK, do the following, set up the Spline and use it in the Cloner Object as Mode>Object. As in the initial scene. The move forward is now set as “Rate”, no keyframes nothing, just the Rate. Easy, right?
Place a object as Clone under it, set the Cloner object to have enough clones.

Set up the Formula Effector as followed: In the formula field type in just u nothing more, a simple small letter. The Parameter>Weight to 100%

Then introduce the Random Effector—In the Falloff tab, set the Weight to zero. Make certain that the Random Effector sits under the Formula in the list of the Cloner Object.

Done.

In short, the Formula sets up the weight, the Random the PSR only and based on the Formula’s weight.

Check the file ;o) Simple, and not a keyframe.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_MGdd_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 53KB - Downloads: 180)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 July 2014 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Thank you for all the help! I will study the files. Thanks again.

Posted: 22 July 2014 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Devoted.

I know that the formula “stuff” is mostly avoided, but if you take a few minutes to explore it, and get its simplicity for this set up, you might like it. :o)

If there is any question, please let me know.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Tron textures ››