A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Stained Glass Window, Part 1
Posted: 25 February 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-06-27

Is there supposed to be an image file associated with this tutorial?

Thanks

Posted: 25 February 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hi Steve,
I think that this series is showing the method.
Since it can be applied to generally any image I guess it was left up to the user to supply that.

I think best choice here is maybe include a good ol’ google image search into the class :D
Should present lots of images that can be edited to create the results you see there.
Might be a fun way to spice up a lesson :D

If not I might be able to scrounge something up later on.

Posted: 25 February 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-06-27

Thanks.  Right after my student asked me that question and we spent a few minutes looking at the tutorials, he came back up and told me that the tutorial does mention creating those files.  Sorry about that.  They are picking and choosing their own tutorials at this point and I haven’t been able to get through them all myself.

Thanks again.

Posted: 26 February 2013 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Steve,

The tutorial leaves everyone to his own create of the window.

My suggestion, take any image that you or your students like (paint perhaps a black frame around it first, use the Photoshop Filter>Pixelate>Crystallize,

make a copy and then Filter>Stylize>Find Edges. The result goes then into Image>Adjustments>threshold, with the slider all the way to the right (adjust if needed).

In Filter>Others>Minimum to get the right width for the “small frame” of each glass.

Multiply this layer with the first one, merge it. Save it. :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2011-06-27

Dr. Sassi,

This is a very cool mini-tutorial I will probably incorporate into my classes as a quick Photoshop/GIMP activity.  Thanks!

Steve

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Steve,

You’re welcome. To have them done their own little “stain-glass” is certainly way more fun.

If you like to dig deeper into such patterns, very deep, the plug in (Photoshop) Filter Forge allows for an incredible amount of options (not only patterns)

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 June 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-06-29

Would this work with an animation rather than a still image?

Posted: 29 June 2014 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fractalman,

I think I saw it the first time in “Ghost Busters” an eternity ago. Since then such effects are discussed more often.

The problem would be the Vectorizer, it can’t take more than one image, in other words: no image sequence nor movie. It might be possible with some tricks to call up an image sequence…

If you have little movie clip, you might posterize the clip to a few colors only. (There are plug ins available for After Effects (Ae) to get this comic/toon effect.

If you are happy with the reduction of colors (Sometimes it helps to blur the clip a little bit, before you start “posterizing it. BTW, the Colorizer in CINEMA 4D can do something like that, but not as advanced as specialized products for Ae.

If you have such a clip, use the “Find Edges” in Ae, and set this to an nice value to the dark parts (lead) in the stained glass. (This will be not as comfortable and nice to adjust as perhaps “ToonIt”. YOu might to “fiddle” around a bit with it. Each clip is different, so I can’t provide here a “magic set up”. This “black and white” pass should be rendered from Ae as well. You will use it in the Alfa channel, and one time in the Bump or even Displacement Channel, with a little blur applied to it, to allow for a smooth border. I work at least in 16bit/c, and would apply the blur in an extra pass in Ae, not in C4D, BTW. The 16bit/c is needed for a clean blur-based gradient when working in Displacement. Eight bit is not advised there at all, but funnily for the color part it might be sufficient.

The color part of the clip finds its place as discussed in the tutorial, but I would set it on its own plane object.

====

As an alternative, a polygon object, perhaps cut or “mosaic’d” in “Thrausi”  and then animated via Point Level Animation would work. The Polygon [as Instance] could be placed into a Atom Array with one axis scaled down heavily, to allow for the frame effect.

Or you create the animation of the polygon in steps. Change the polygon to your liking, and work on a copy of this, and repeat—until you got your “sequence”. If you haven’t added any points to that object, you could use it in an MoGraph-Cloner-Object, set to Blend and one clone only. Then use a Plain Effector and Animate the “Modify Clones” parameter, while the Effector is in the Cloner-Object Effector list.

There are certainly more options, if you would specify what you need, perhaps I have another idea.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 June 2014 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-06-29

Great post.  Thanks for all the ideas.  I can see you have rolled this around in your head also.

Maybe it’s easier to just explain what I’m trying to do.  I want a movie (texture) to be projected thru a thin transparent rectangular box (not just a plane, it needs to have depth).  The box is transparent and has the movie texture applied to it.  I want to shine a spotlight thru it so fog or volumetric light would give the beautiful “stained glass window” effect on the fog and the ground like what you made, just with a movie instead of a still.

I’m wondering if I even need a frame, or if the alpha channel from the movie could act as the “lead” areas.  And I suspect it may get tricky projecting thru both sides of a transparent object, rather than just a plane.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Stellar work.  Got me inspired!  Thanks again,
Jim

Posted: 30 June 2014 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jim,

Nice that you like the work that Matt Johnson does.

Please share an example (simplified !!) scene of your target in a new thread in the “Cineversity Q&A” Forum.
Your questions are going too far away from the original content of this tutorial.
This thread here is for specific question about the tutorial mentioned in the headline. If someone has a problem with some content, it will be not nice for him/her to move to all these questions first.
Just a little example, please note that this is a fake, anything else need to be done with Caustics! (...and they do not render very fast.)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=wPcuMwVrTyorIOU0kcIDuQ

So lets move to a new thread and perhaps, copy and paste your question from here as well into the new thread.
Please include in the new thread your progress on this idea, what you have done, what didn’t worked. As ususal, The best is a precise description from the start, so we do not fix half-the-way things, which is never a good idea.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: