A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Pose Morph to drive other pose morphs
Posted: 23 April 2014 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2010-08-21

I just watched Patrick’s excellent “Setting Up Hand Controls with Pose Morph” tutorial and I noticed that one type of data that can be morphed is user data. My question is: Can you Patrick’s tutorial one step further by combining all the user datas to create “pose combinations”, like “Clenched Fist”, “index finger point”, “peace sign”, etc.?

Posted: 23 April 2014 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Vrauckis,

I have attached a little scene. With mixed poses or single poses. Is that the question?

If a more complex set up is needed or a faster rigging with pre-defined “expressions”, then the “Driver Tag” is used to work like a pose manager.
Manual: CINEMA 4D>> CINEMA 4D Prime> Character Menu> Character Tags> Driver Tag.
You find this tags in the Object Manager>Tags>Charcter Tags>Driver.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_CApm_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 44KB - Downloads: 250)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 April 2014 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-08-21

I am always accused of making simple things too complicated. I just thought that for animating purposes there should be a way to take dozens of joints morphs (for a hand, for instance) and be able to create a single slider that controls all of them for a single purpose, like clenching your fist. Then perhaps one for a pointing state. Then, you control each to animate from a resting state to clenched and perhaps to index finger pointing.

Or is it better to just each finger individually curl, point down and spread as Patrick’s tutorial has, and what are the pitfalls of trying to create a ‘megapose’ if possible?

Posted: 23 April 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hehe, Vrauckis, accused of being complicated, the story of my life, well I think of being complex ;o). Let me say it in this way, before one can successfully simplify anything, one needs to master the complexity of the subject. If the “inner logic” is fully understood—then—a simplification can be done in a healthy way.

There is certainly a group of people who just chop a subject in the pieces they understood and ignore the more complicated or complex parts. They call it as well simplification, and then the trouble starts, as the term is misused. A fraction of a subject is never a simplification.

Having said that, there is not really a general answer to a subject with such an wide variety of options and targets. To set up a hand-rig alone follows not a best practice or standard rules, it follows the need of the scene and how the animator will use the rig. The target here could be in conflict between the time to set up a rig—vs—the time time to animate with the rig. A good balance seems th ideal, but ask the animator how much s/he is willing to suffer with a mediocre rig for example.

It sounds good to have for the main expression a slider for example. The question here would be, is that the target? How much do “we” use the object with the sliders in transition mode among the target expressions and how well is that working?

Character-animation is a complex field, it is beyond technically or acting as it contains both worlds an more. The fine nuances in each expression-change and how the before and after move-ments around the target expression are very important to define. Just go from one target to the next, might be the exact requirement for one scene, but for the next project it will perhaps fail. In short, you need to know what works for your project and animator mix, then you get an answer. One size fits all, I don’t believe that. But your milage might vary.

Based on that, sketch out your targets, the scenes and the need to operate the rig. Then you will know if a rig needs only Final-expression sliders, or if you have an rig that allows for, e.g., each finger a different motion/expression, and build from there a master-slider set up, with the option to fine tune.  Either way check how you can go from one target-expression to the next, and how natural does it looks, based on the story you like to tell. We normally don’t go from one target expression back to neutral and then to the next target expression. Hence the mix of two half target expression will answer how it will work for you, etc.

Your rig and its operational sliders, handles etc will allow—or not at all—to work precise, fast, and efficient. If the rig is more in your way, than supporting your efforts, nothing is achieved. This is the most simplified answer I can give, as I certainly see the complexity, but I do not have a single answer for that, besides, it has to fit like a glove to work well, an individual set is needed—in other words.

The more you know yourself, if you are the animator, and the more you know your target and the story to tell, the better you can judge any set up. To boil it down, the rig itself without context can be good or bad.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 23 April 2014 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-08-21

Thank you, Dr. Sassi. I realize that in the 3 years I have had access to Cinema 4D through work that I have so much to learn about character animation.

Posted: 23 April 2014 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Vrauckis, even if I have the feeling I left you with more question than answers.

But well, character animation is not without a reason, more often than not, called the “Queen of Animation”. It might contain all parts of 3D and challenge the artists even on the “actor performance” side.
I think it is better to know what areas needs some attention, than to not know ones gaps at alll. I learn every day, and that since quite some time. Things evolve, change and mostly get better. A constant drill to keep us on our toes. But we ask for this, aren’t we?

Enjoy and explore!

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: