A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

modeling the feet?
Posted: 19 November 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-02-05

I modeled the dome part, but I can’t figure out how to get the “feet” on the shape seamlessly. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Posted: 19 November 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Eadw1,

As I have no idea how you model looks like, I can only suggest.

Find edges and polygons that matches your need and go from there.

You might select some edges and convert this to a spline (Mesh>Commands>Edge to Spline) Which opens then some more options.

or

You copy your dome and select some of the polygons you need and inverse the selection, then delete what you don’t need. Check if un-used points are left and delete those as well. (Mesh>Commands>Optimize … Cogwheel [Square icon in earlier versions] to get to the options)

You might need to alter something but leave the critical “edges” as they are, Extrude for example those polygons.

As before, the shape seems to be symmetrically, so it might be done with a half or even a sixth of the model to get it done.

After that, merge the parts and check the mesh. Weld points if needed (Mesh>Create>Weld)

If you can share only part of the model, I might have different suggestions. Really just the foot area.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 November 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2009-02-05

Thank you for your suggestions.
Here is a pic of my .c4d file. I can’t send the actual .c4d file through this site…

Posted: 20 November 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Eodw1,

I see you use the Spherize method I suggested a while ago, nice to get in that way some feedback about. :o)

To send an C4D file you need to zip it (Compress it), the limit is 4MB.

I would use the Object Manager>Objects> “Current State To Object”, and select as I said above the edge where the foot has to be. Then use the Extrude tool just a tiny bit, and after that pull the new edge down to the “floor”.

With the selection active, go to the coordinate window (not the one in the Attribute Manager, and set the “Y” value to zero. to get a flat end, Extrude agin perhaps a little bit, this time to shape the foot more.

It might be needed to subdivide the new lover vertical edges a little bit. Also, perhaps chose the initial selection a little bit wider, to have some polygons to work the subdivision surface edge .

I have this all written just like thinking out loud, without your model, I have no idea how it might behave.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 November 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2009-02-05

Thanks!
here is my .c4d file

File Attachments
SPIN_VERSION_04.c4d.zip  (File Size: 448KB - Downloads: 176)

Posted: 20 November 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Eodw1, for the file.

My first point would be—to address that you need to think in smaller parts of the objects. This object is basically (in its start-shape) just a sixth of the needed shape. Mirrored and multiplied creates the shape. But you can of course work with one object from the start. It is sometimes not clear what workflow might cause more time. But as a rule of thumb, analysis the shape first, then decide about the procedure.

After that, my way would always be, to think of a constant check if the Subdivision Surface (HyperNURBS) has sufficient polygons, or (!) way too much. The more polygons you use, the more it turns any further step perhaps into huge amount of work. What the Subdivision Surface does and how it works is a longer story, and needs to be explored. Without a good feeling and experience of that option, modeling is not funny.

To optimize the mesh, first create a “nice” mesh from the Loft, nice means here, try to get an evenly structured mesh.  In the Loft switch off caps and adjust the Spline in the Intermediate-points. After “Current State to Object (CSTO)—with “Weld” you might get ride of some too small triangles.

My suggestion, set the amount of polygons and the subdivision of the source spline as low as possible for that. The Loft (NURBS) should be set only to the cap that is needed.

Checking the Subdivision Surface (SS) always, will show you that the current model might create already an unusable shape. I assume that you use the SS, as it might become quite a challenge otherwise to get the shape look nice.

One of the main things to avoid in SS modeling is N-Gons and as far as possible triangles. N-Gons are great during modeling, but need to be solved into quads (four sided polygons). Yes, some exceptions exists, but a clean model pays of always. QUADS, and as close to a square as possible. With that in mind, the underlaying mesh can be quite rough for the work with the SS.

If there are triangles, then this needs a support seam, to create a distance to the triangles. Which works only very well, if the triangles are flat to the support. As a rule of thumb, SS uses the geometry like a rubber and pulls a surface out of it. Lots of points and closer to each other pull more than others. Hence the artifacts.

After the Spherize is applied drag the first supportive frame via Extrude. Based on the Spherize this will match the surface nicely, perhaps do it twice and the second time just a tiny little bit. After that the CSTO is used, then Select>Ouline and Extrude work starts. First to get some support “frames” around the shape and pull it down via Y move. The Extrude must be tiny, very tiny!
The steps need to be monitored perhaps with SS on and set to Catmull-Clark, SS level to 1 in this case. The Extrude shouldn’t be set to Subdivision nor N-Gons for this.

After the first small drag down, do another super tiny Extrude, and pull again, so you get to the shape of the black shell. Then again tiny, pull down and now set the Coordinates Y-size to zero and adjust the Y position where the feet should end. Delete the polygons where no feet are. In the image the foot area is selected. Notice the rough mesh in th other screenshot—no SS.

I have not accounted here for any details on the center area, which might be great to address while in spherize mode to pre-sort some of the polygons already for later events.

I hope that brings you closer to your target.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2009-02-05

Wow! Thank you for your dense and rich reply. There is lot to chew on here. I will get to work applying it and experimenting.
Again, I appreciate you taking the time to look into the matter and help so much.
—Emily

Posted: 21 November 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Emily,

You’re welcome! :o)

The main idea of Subdivision Surface “SS” (HyperNURBS) modeling is certainly to keep the core model low in polygons, so changes can be made fast and easily. Perhaps five minutes well spend—is to take a cube, make it editable [C] and place it under the “SS” then cut the cube with a knife (perhaps just with Plane as setting and see how the shape of the cube changes. Move the new “cut” and explore how that affects the shape as well. It will give you a great starting point in working with the “SS” or as it was called before HyperNURBS.

Let me know if you need anything else.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: I tried to find a fast and easy way to get the initial triangle shape. The idea was to have it as even as possible. The first Spherize allows for the Taper to work (differentiate the topography in Y) and then a second Spherize puts the shape back near to the target shape. In that way you can adjust the result interactively. (I haven’t test it so far, but it should work with the Surface Deformer in a similar way, and lifts the limitation of the sphere.)
To scale the S.Y of the Spherize might allow for further adjustments. Playing with the set up will show what changes what, e.g., moving the Taper up and down instead of using the strength… or just adjust the segments of the “Polygon”.

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_13_MOtr_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 72KB - Downloads: 156)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2009-02-05

Oh. I like the idea of doubling up in the Spherify deformer!

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I hope it inspires you to experiment with it and other tools ;o) Have fun, Emily. … and thanks for the feedback!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2009-02-05

Thank you! You have helped a lot and I have learned a lot.—emily

Posted: 21 November 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome. I wish you lots of fun with the project :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 November 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I used the Polygon triangle method for this image here. I think you can see how to model the feet ;o)

I have left my “last tool” window open, especially the new Edge Slide Tool supports such works.

If you start over, consider how you would like to model the details top/middle. As long as you are in “Spherize"mode, you might take a spline Circle as guide and pull a polygon ring along. The Spherize will support this to a certain degree. Later this edge-loop will support your work.

Edit: I have attached two more images, which I did to check each step. I did it quickly, so it is a little bit sketchy. But it has only four sided polygons! :o) /edit

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 November 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Not your question here, but just to be more complete: One little hint about the circle cut. I sorted the mesh of the Polygon. Then I did a “Current State to Object” with the “SS” [HyperNURBS] and then again but this time only one Spherize. When a edge loop follows the N-Gon Spline or Circle Spline you can do a Extrude Inner once or twice. After that another CSTO with the SS set to zero, now the Spherize is of no need anymore and the two loops have an inner edge loop, this can be dragged down and if needed scaled. Use a SS to check how it works. I have attached images to illustrate the process.

Signature 

NEW: