A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Animating a PSR Constrain
Posted: 06 November 2013 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-10-29

Hello.

I am doing an animation of a character that is carrying an object in the right hand. He walk, then get the object with the other hand. I did it using 2 nulls that are aling with the wrist controlers, using PSR and animating the PSR strengh of the individual PSR from 100% to 0 and from 0 to 100%. In order to get the object constraing from one wrist controler to the other.  But, if i move the animation back on the timeline, the position on the object goes crazy. I also have to change the priority on the PSR to a number above 100 and set it to expresion, if not, the objet have a dealy and dont follow the wrist controler correctly.

Is this the right way to do this kind of stuff?, how can i solve that “crazy movement” on the object when i move the timeline back.

Here is the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zo078eak999q4u/char_rifle_test.c4d

Posted: 08 November 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Kaporitofrontino,

To play backwards the scene you need to wait until the re-draw is done, refreshing by pressing the key A helps. I haven checked all the priorities, though.

The construction that you have created with the Nulls might work, but it feels not OK. The hierarchy that you have build up, moves the Null (“bot Null”) and with that the Null (“Top Null”). It shouldn’t matter as the constrain will overwrite it, if set to 100%. But there is more movement than needed, and I have no idea what would happen down the road with more things going on in the scene. Just my two cents.

My suggestion is, to use these two Nulls as they are, but both as sibling under the Null (“Null” or parent in this case). Then set to each a child Null. To make it simple, they might sit exactly where the object is while it changes hands. (My file is like a sketch here, not precise)

The Cube becomes a PSR Constraint and best two PSR constrains, for each of the new child Nulls. You get two sliders and these should result in 100% accumulated. (Not stickily, but I would go with that. Perhaps you even set a Xpresso expression up for these, with a range mapper, so they keep the 100% total constantly. In this way you need to animate only one.)

The child Nulls are introduced to set up a proper position for the Object to line up, and you can animate them, without inferring with the Constraint driven parents. You might work instead with—two—Constrain Tags and set for each an Off-Set value, with an cross-blend animation as above mentioned. t might preferable to explore the Parant vs PSR options for your other scenes as well.

Alternative, if that is the only “take” with this character and the object: Each hand holds one of these objects, and in the moment both hands hold visually both, you switch the visibility of the two. Just a thought to keep things simple, perhaps not needed for this right now.

In the attached scene file I have not lined up the child nulls precisely, just more handled as a sketch.

Sorry for the delay in answering,  I did missed the notification, I have to check what happens on my side.

BTW, you might set up the priorities in the new PSR and XPresso differently.

All the best

Sassi

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=ar7XBgwjSCUvdfmP0c-K6Q

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]