A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Times Square Ball in C4d
Posted: 04 November 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-07-26

Hi Cineversity,

I have a question for you…I would like to create decent replica of the Times Square ball. I am attaching a jpeg sample as reference. I am a below average modeler. I have experimented with which approach I could execute this where I am not working 10 times harder than I need to. I have gone through tuts covering knife, extrude, etc…

An Icosahedron with 10 segments and uncheck “Render Perfect” would work fine with the amount and size of the triangles. If you take a look at the sample, there are 3 triangles within the big triangle.

Do I need to take every big triangle, one at a time, use the “front camera”, angle the triangle to where it’s perpendicular to the camera and use the knife tool and cut 3 triangles within the big triangle?

I tried one way where I use the cloner the triangles and check object & use the Icosahedron as the object to clone off of, couldn’t get it to match.

I am willing to do the work on this project, just curious for any wisdom on technique.

Thank you!

Steve

Posted: 04 November 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Steve,

The simplest way would be to select all edges (in edge mode) and use the Mesh> Create Tools> Edge Cut.

Leave the settings to the default in the Attribute Manager, it is just what you need here.

Then select all polygons (in polygon mode) and use the Mesh> Commands> Triangulate.

Done.

(You get four triangles, not three ;o)

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: if you like to animate the sphere later with those segments, please share your ideas, so we get the workflow for you from the start.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 November 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-07-26

Dr. Sassi, thank you so much!!

You are awesome!!!!

Steve

Posted: 04 November 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Steve! What a nice feedback to start the week with :o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Muscle noise problem ››