A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV Natural Selection Scripts R15 Compatibility?
Posted: 17 September 2013 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

So, my Natural Selection scripts don’t seem to function in R15.  Hoping that those scripts might have been updated I searched the tutorials for CV Natural Selection but didn’t find any matches.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Posted: 17 September 2013 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

I assume that goes into the same direction as this thread:

http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1100/

I’m certain if possible, this will be addressed.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 September 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-04-04

Yes, this post was informed by that earlier thread.  I wanted confirmation that the R14-compatible CV Natural Selection tools weren’t compatible with R15, and that updated versions were not available yet.

Shawn

Posted: 17 September 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Shawn,

I can’t speak for any developer, but during the time before and after the release of, e.g., R15 I would assume that the chances are low that a lot of attention is given to that. The release is out in the wild and things will get back to “normal”. Again, my personal point of view.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 October 2013 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-04-04

It’s been a month since I inquired about an update to the Natural Selection tools.  Searching for “Natural Selection” in the tutorials now brings up the pertinent tutorials, but downloading the files gives you the same, old, non-functional scripts created in 2007.  I mainly want the Normal Select functionality, but that’s not working in R15.

I saw that an update to CV Selection Manager was posted a week ago.

As an aside, I’ve never understood why these tools aren’t simply included with Cinema 4D.  These seem like pretty fundamental tools.  Why restrict them only to those who subscribe to Cineversity?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Posted: 17 October 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Shawn,

Sorry - I missed this post the first time around. As a hint - if you use the “Help with this Tutorial” link on a specific tutorial (or the tutorial for a plugin), it will automatically ping the author with an email to let them know.

The publicly available Natural Selection download seems to work fine for me in R15. The issue with CV-Selection Manager only affects protected Python plugins, and Natural Selection is written in COFFEE. Can you explain further what issues you’re having, and I can troubleshoot?

Posted: 17 October 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24
WShawn - 17 October 2013 02:54 PM

As an aside, I’ve never understood why these tools aren’t simply included with Cinema 4D.  These seem like pretty fundamental tools.  Why restrict them only to those who subscribe to Cineversity?

It’s not a conspiracy, but I understand why it might look that way to an outsider. Cineversity is product of MAXON Americas and I’m an employee of MAXON Americas. Although MAXON Americas is a subsidiary of MAXON Germany, our operations are fairly separate. Beyond that, my job isn’t development but management of the operations of the US office, including US Tech Support and special projects. I develop plugins in spare time based on the needs I hear often from users, but since I’m not on the development team and don’t work for MAXON HQ my plugins and scripts aren’t ever considered for general release.

All this is one of the reasons we’ve started including Cineversity as part of the MSA for customers in the Americas. This allows us to get the resources we publish here in the hands of more customers. We hope to ramp up development of more resources in the near future, starting with version 2 of my ArtSmart plugin which is currently in beta and I hope we’ll be able to release before the end of the year.

I hope that clarifies some things.

Posted: 20 October 2013 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2012-04-04

Rick:

Thanks for the reply; sorry I haven’t had a chance to reply earlier.

For no apparent reason the Normal Select and Select Facing functions aren’t working for me as I think they should.  I’ve posted a screen grab that illustrates what’s happening for me:

http://marshall-arts.net/Support/NormalSelectProblem.mov

With Normal Select, selecting one poly and then running the script results in EVERY polygon being selected.  With Select Facing, with no polys selected, running the script again results in ALL polys being selected.

Not shown in my sample, but the Select Similar tool isn’t working either.  If I select one of the 9 quad polys on the side of this cube and run Select Similar, that poly is deselected, leaving nothing selected.

I dunno.

Shawn