A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Weak reflection on edge of object
Posted: 15 October 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-01-15

Hello all !

I’m currently working on a project that I will use a lot extrude logo but in many way i’m not able to have a smooth reflection on the side of the object I try to figure out my way but never came close to make it work, If anyone have a idea I will be more then welcome

I have also attache files

File Attachments
reflection.zip  (File Size: 318KB - Downloads: 182)

Posted: 15 October 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Gregg,

Do you have the area in mind where the rounding hits the flat part, if so:

t is a battle of the Phong Tag, when to smooth parts and when not. The example scene had a problem in the edge (on the right), which might have influence in some cases even far away from that. I assume that was not part of the question.
The Extrude [Nurbs] builds five elements if set to fillet and caps on both ends. These five elements are not really connected, they have all the vertices/points at the same position. You can see how that changes when you use a Connect Object and experiment with the Phong settings there. (See image)

Sometimes a Subdivision Surface Object [HyperNURBS] helps, sometimes the Phong Tag and its settings with a Connection Tag.

If you have the option to make it editable, use the Optimize Function and check if there are edges selected for a “Phong Break”. A Phong Break is similar to two edge, at the same position, but not connected, so no smoothing.

With A or without B Connect Object
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=8DIyyJHbQaohnhwz6vWG08
Extrude A vs Polygon B and phong set to the parameters mentioned above
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=LaWiod-qRdYnc5TW_h7k0A

All the best
Sassi

P.S.: all images have a Sky object as reflective background with the noise set to scale 3% instead of 300%.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 October 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-01-15

Hey thanks for your answer Sassi
As you can see the problem persist on the rounded cube, even if it’s a primitive object but it only append on the reflection so far ! , I’m wondering how this could be corrected, I have no choice to work with the tracer object for multiple reason the first one they come from tracking data, second one I using the extrude nurbs to apply a texture only on the C1,  and third I will have like 300 elemnets that will have certain rules apply to them ! like the fillet of the extrude nurbs ! So I’m looking for a smooth data to put on these elements, make it editable is not a option :( and connect object will no allow me to have a textuer on the C1 ? i might be wrong do ?
thanks again for your answer !

Posted: 15 October 2013 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Gregg.

The Cube as primitive is as the Extrude {NURBS] a generated object. I have of course never seen the “formula/code” how the cube is produced, but it follows the idea of being generated. A polygon object is different, based on stored points, instead of (lets say) math and code.

IF you are stuck with generated objects than the Connect [Object] is the perhaps the way to go. Right, it is practically just another generator, but it has the ability to “melt” all the double points to a single ones, and the “patchwork” turns into a single data object. I hope that makes sense ;o) This is the reason why I suggested it. Not to load more work into C4D, and it is more preparation work in my book, but to share an option to get this done both ways.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]