A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Composition TAG exclusion problem
Posted: 09 October 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi, I can’t make Composition TAG work the way I want. I think I know very well how this tag works but I’m probably doing something wrong, I tried almost every combination.

In my scene I have a bottle and cloner object (water drops) on a surface of the bottle.
I don’t want to see water drops that are on the back surface of the bottle.

I add a composition Tag to the cloner and exclude bottle transparency reflections refractions everything.
but the bottles transparency still sees the drops at the back. I tried everything and but it doesnt work.

any tips? thanks a lot

Posted: 09 October 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

ok, well this is weird. if the cloner has a basic object. an sphere, cube or any primary parametric object then the tag works they way it should work. when the cloner has a polygon object the Tag stops working.

I did a test with a clean new scene a sphere and a cube

Posted: 09 October 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MP,

It would be nice to see the test scene you mentioned, and which release you use. I will have a look into it.

Perhaps the support would be an option?

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 October 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi Sassi,
I’m using R15 with the last update. here a scene.
if you want to try just change the 3 spheres inside the cloner for the 3 polygon sphere

Posted: 09 October 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

I could’t attach the file sorry.
you can download it from here
http://www.triadstudio.tv/ftp/comp_Tag_problem.zip

Posted: 09 October 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, MP.

I made the opposite observations, even with no further set up, the Compositing Tag doesn’t show the Primitives, but the Polygons. I have to uncheck the options to not see the Polygons, as it should be. I tried several releases of R15. However, I went along with your request of course and explored this route in detail

I have tried everything I could think of, to get that result that you get, but I can’t reproduce this here. It works for me both ways, Polygon and Primitive.

Just to get really clear about this, I have had set the drops to a little bit darker color and rendered it. With no problem showing up, I tried with an Object Buffer, to made this perhaps visible: No Luck.

Anyway, my suggestion, as long as the drops are not needed for anything else, use the MoGraph Selection and use, e.g., a Plain Effector to set these to Scale Uni -1. Just to get ride of them at all.

(If there is not a lot of camera move)
Another way would be, if the surface allows it, to use a Surface Deformer and use a plane to get the area you need with drops. Alternative to that, create a copy of the bottle and use the Normal-Move just a tiny little bit for the area that needs the drops, anything else—delete it from that copy. The copy is of course invisible for the rendering.
One option, and perhaps the fastest way, select the polygons (if is a polygon object) that should have drops, create a selection tag for this and drag this selection tag into the Cloner Object (Attribute manger>>Object>Selection) This will not even produce drops on the non-selected parts.

As it works here, I have no further options to explore. The support might help…

Good luck

Sassi

Here a screenshot from the Polygon based render.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=MamgAb6SSMQmsGyKFE2-Wg

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 October 2013 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi Sassi, I appreciate you took the time to do some test.

I really want to use exactly the same drops i have, unfortunately it took me like probably one day to get the right size, form and color of drops to look like real condensation on the bottle, this is for a tv commercial so I created the drops with lot of details.
Turning the general transparency, reflections, refractions channel off in the tag even if it makes them disappear from the bottle transparency it won’t work because you lose all of the refractions and reflections of the drops itself.

So after lot of test I found a solution, what I did was convert all the cloners into mesh, and with the same tag setting (everything on in basic,  but in exclude>bottle transparency-refl-refract-)  then it works ok.

it’s seems to be a bug of c4d.  I also found the same problem with a few bigger drops I did with metaball the tag behave wrong until i convert into mesh.

Thanks a lot

Posted: 10 October 2013 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, MP.

I wish I could have the same set up as you have (OS, CPU, etc…), as I have the refraction and other options for the drops, except for the drops (as requested) from the backside.

If you have a moment, I guess the support would be happy to get the data about, so it is fixed, and others have no trouble in the future. Thank you.

I did it in the way you have success with it, but the drops seems then to be inside of the bottle as well (in the glass), fully and not similar to a half drop sticking—on—the surface. I never would have suggested this, but if it works for you, great.

My best wishes for the project

Sassi

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=1-9h2v_fTW8stEYbY_wdWQ

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 October 2013 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Sassi, Just for the records. I receive an answer from Maxon support.

it’s a confirmed bug with the exclude tag while working with cloner.
The solution is turning off render instances from cloner object

Posted: 11 October 2013 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot MP for the information. This will certainly help.
I have tested the Instance option you mentioned, but it doesn’t work on my end. Which indicates even more that this needs a closer look from the developers.

This means it will be soon history and working will be fine.
Yes, it felt weird, especially getting different results on both ends.
Thanks as well for getting in touch with the support.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: