A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloth along a spline
Posted: 03 January 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-07-12

Hello and happy new 2012!
I love the new look of Cineversity. You did a great job and i’m happy to be a member.

Anyway, i’m here to ask you if there is any tutorial/tip for how to make the cloth grow along a spline.
For example, Tim Clapham made an excellent video http://vimeo.com/31121726 for Becks beer and he makes that cloth motion which is really great. I’ve seen that technique somewhere in some MTV motion but i’m not very sure.

Thanks in advance
Giorgos

Posted: 03 January 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Giorgos,

Thanks a lot, I believe the whole team is happy to read your nice comments about the relaunch.

I wish you a nice 2012 as well.

The idea is (at least for me) to get things set up easily and keep the control as much as possible. Which is sometimes not possible of course (Control vs set up vs Effect, etc.)
I have attached a little set up. First we need to create a Cloth like object that is able to grow. Have an eye on the Spline “subdivision”, which means amount of points. I have used here a Water Shader, you might create a displacement movie, if your need is beyond that shader.
With this set up so far, we can control the growth and the movement of the surface.

Now we need to move it along a new Spline, which is typically done with a Spline Wrap. As the growth is already established, there is no need to animate things here.  You might only set up the “keep length” or “fit spline” option.

Please have a look to the supplied file. The Spline that you might use in the Spline Wrap can be animated, e.g., scale wise, if you like to follow closely the great animation from Tim.

Alternative: Other methods comes to mind, e.g., with Point cache and with alpha maps (animated gradient) to change the length of the “cloth”. Cache is nice but take a little bit the initial interactivity away. You might explore this a little bit for your needs.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV_r11_drs_12_MOcl_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 55KB - Downloads: 901)
 Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 03 January 2012 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-07-12

Dr Sassi,
this amazing! Thank you very much.
I was experimented with this before your reply, but i couldn’t make the result that i am looking for. I’ve made my object (plane) which i put the cloth tag. I also made my path and a spline wrap. So simple. It was started flat, after some frames it was ok but with the wind and all the properties from cloth, the plane started to make some crazy stuff. I never thought of the Displacer… fantastic!!

Anyway, this is so great! I appreciated!

Giorgos

Posted: 03 January 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Giorgos,

You’re welcome. Yes, you were certainly on the right track, with a straight object and deform it.
You might explore this maybe with some other deformers (over the complete animation) as well to get the overall “wind” feeling.

I wish you a good time with your project.

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 10 October 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-05-05

Hello there,

I was looking for some help along the same exploration that Giorgos was doing, but I’m unable to download the file you posted Dr Sassi

thanks in advance!

Luciano

Posted: 10 October 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Luciano,

I tried it and yes, it seems to have a problem. Please try this link:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=jmgqNU_ySWomJNebMgOxXc

Thanks for your interest.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 October 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-05-05

Wow,
amazng!  thanks a lot!

Luc

Posted: 10 October 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome Luc! :o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]