A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

how to properly organize textures ?
Posted: 11 September 2013 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-08-06

I being using C4D for a while, but I can’t find a proper way to organize textures.
I like to have my projects clean and organize, I found I work faster and more creative/productive that way.
but I can’t find a way to do it in C4D.

(I always create a after effects folder, a premier folder, a assets folder and a 3D folder for all of my projects) I’m saying that just to explain I always try to keep everything organize.

In the past I use to create one folder inside my 3D folder for each cinema animation but I need to relink all textures, or duplicate TEX folder on every animation.
So recently I start to keep only one folder with all the c4d files together in order to have only one TEX folder but this is a mess on project where I got 10 different animations + some old versions of each animation.
Another problem is that sometimes I take my projects to do some homework on a external drive. even if I copy the whole folder with the TEX folder inside cinema can’t find textures.

and when I start to relink them I need to do it one by one. that is so frustrating, also knowing that the next day i will need to do the relink thing again in my studio.

any tips would be very appreciate
thanks!

Posted: 11 September 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

HI MP,

The main idea for any texture is a good naming convention. Which needs to follow a clear scheme and allows for variance.

In C4D you can set a path to 10 different Texture path (Preferences). These path will be searched for textures. If you have an external drive, set this up as path. C4D searches in the MAXON folder, in the TEX folder and inside of the 10 path that can be set up and changed.

You might also have a look into this clip:
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/new_in_cinema_4d_r15_texturemanager
It might help to get things done in the future.

My personal way is certainly different, as I create each time textures from the ground newly.This was certainly different in the past, I admit.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 September 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Thanks Dr. Sassi,
That video was really helpful didn’t know about texture manager, at least I don’t need to do one by one.

I will give the path texture a try, I’m already using it just for common texture, like GSG light texture, or some custom common textures I created in old projects. but not sure if it will work for the rest of the textures.
For example right now I’m working on a job with 30 different products each has it’s own detailed texture created on photoshop. these are not common textures between project but individual custom texture on each product.
so don’t see how path will work.

I guess cinema4d is still missing some smart search and locate texture, like AE does with the footage.

Posted: 11 September 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, MP. To replace textures one by one is certainly painful, no question. I hope R15 will save you a lot of time. To have very powerful automatism doing that, might end up in finding older textures, it is not an easy task beyond a certain naming logic. MAXON—so far I understand it after 17 years using it—is interested in making it easy to use, but flexible enough to adjust. This is of course a delicate balance by itself.

I hope the texture path will work for you.

Side note: Do you have the 30 texture in one scene, or one object with 30 variations? Keep in mind that for example 30 different textures (for 30 different results) on the same object can also be handled as image sequence or even a movie file. Which means one time render set up and get these 30 files at once. Since XPresso can read some image formats, you can leave even color information in areas which are not used and store in that way individual color information there. Once in XPresso, those informations can be used to determine, for such sequences, an e.g., an individual light color in the background. Lots of options if you let that thought grow for a while.

Anyway, you certainly have “standard” textures, which should be on a central place, and have a copy for each external station, and for short term project needs you might set up a path each time. To leave in each project a note where the textures are, might help, if not stored in the main project (tex-folder).

That there is always room for improvement is certainly not a secret, especially looking at R15 right now, where you might find those improvements. If you have an idea how it should work for your purposes, please never hesitate to send in a suggestion to MAXON http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html  I think the link itself is an indicator that any input will be appreciated.

Have a nice evening

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 September 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

I always work on animation, but making many stills with different textures from a TGA sequence Render with a movie a texture as you describe is a really smart idea. Xpresso is out of my league yet. haha

my suggestion would be a relative hierarchy texture path project. totally different than the preference panel that is an overall texture path, for just common textures between different projects.

I would like that each project has a main texture path folder than you can select. what I mean by relative hierarchy folder is that should work in relation of where the scene is and its folder hyerarchy but not the volume so if you change from one drive to another it will still work.

it will also be very helpful for different animations with same objects where I usually just do save as, it will keep the path so no need to duplicate textures, and if for some reason you need to work wit textures offline then you can choose the path again for automatic relink.

that way my folders would be
>Project folder
  >3D animation
        >animation1
        >animation2
        >animation3
        >Textures folder

where all textures for that project will be locate in the same folder.

that would be my dream setup for texture, but maybe is just the way it will work for me. not sure if it deserve to be suggest for everyone

Posted: 12 September 2013 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MP,

It should be as simple as possible. As you mentioned, this might work for your needs.  If I get your direction correctly, you like to have the option to move projects around, but specific folder (content wise) should be found in any environment. How to get that simplified?

In the Project info you can specify these folder names. If the scene will be opened in an different environment, then the search is started on the whole files system, to get a folder with that specific name.

Anyway, suggestions that you make here will not automatically find the way to the developers, for that the form (see link above is there). Good luck with your input!

XPresso is a system that can be used with perhaps only two nodes, or endless. The beauty of it is, you can start as simple as possible. Ask if you think you could solve something with XPresso, but no idea how. If I have an idea, I will share it of course.

Thanks for the feedback. :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 September 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Thanks Sassi for your help

I will learn Xpresso as soon as I can and probably be back with questions about it. haha

have a good evening

Posted: 12 September 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, MP.

Yes, please feel always free to ask, XPresso has some great potential. :o)

Enjoy your evening

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Animating a hose ››