A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Beginner
Posted: 20 September 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-20

I just downloaded 14 yesterday. I’m familiar with Adobe Tutorials that are very easy to search the subject you need to learn. The tutorials on this site are so confusing! I don’t know the language, much less how to find tut’s for basic tools.

Can anyone direct me?

Thanks,

Mary

Posted: 20 September 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mary,

I certainly understand you post. I try to learn each month a new application to stay in this “first contact” feeling, it is so easy to believe that mastering one application will enable to learn a complete different on in an instant. Might be possible, perhaps not. At least I found some obstacles from time to time, and yes like yesterday with Premiere (Which I use since 1996.) Anyway…

If you are on MSA (MAXON Service Agreement), please make use of the offered training, as 1to1 has the advantage of interactively adjusting the speed of information. (Slows down when you need it or skip things that is already available to you)

My suggestions would be to go one time along the tutorials that you will find in the “Help Content” of the application it self. There is as well the “Quickstart Documention” http://www.maxon.net/support/documentation.html
Please note that pretty much any tool or even parameter has that “right mouse click” help support system, if you like to explore C4D directly.

These two (Help Content Tutorials and Quickstart) are my first recommendations to get an overview about the interface and to get an idea about the typical workflow.

This will help you to get the base to use the over 2,000 Cineversity Tutorials in a much better way.

Yes, 3D—with any of the major packages—is certainly a little bit more complex than other more (or less) 2D focused applications.

The idea that I personally have about that field is simply, that you can do so much with these tools, that (at least during the start) one favorite direction should be followed, e.g., architectural Visualization, character animation, technical animation, “Motion Graphic”, or “Visual Effects”, etc..

The more you share what you like to do, the more we can suggest something.

Please feel always free to ask any question, if there is a question not answered so far, it might help others later on. I try here since the start to keep that a safe place for ANY question, no question is too simple or too far off.

You will see after a short time it will look much simpler, than it does right now.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 March 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-09-20

Hi Sassi,

I just read your response. Thank you for the suggestion. It makes sense to begin this way.

I’m so excited about this program but overwhelmed, for sure.

I’m sure I will be reaching out to you again!

Thanks,

Mary

Posted: 03 March 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the response! I’m more than happy to answer what ever is possible and fits to our main theme here.

Yes, I know that overwhelmed feeling only too well. Why? Because to stay in that feeling I try to learn each month a new application or at least a major update (Which I do now since two decades). This keeps me in the “mood” that you might have right now, and allows me to answer here with an greater idea where you might coming from. When I learned in 1993 “render man” I was treaded from arrogant people not very nicely, and this is my most motivation to never give anyone such a feeling here. Learning should be fun and—yes—it might be challenging from time to time.

The overwhelming might continue for a while and the amount to learn seems to never end. But the certainty to start a project will increase with anything you do. If I can help, I’m happy to do so.

Have a great Sunday

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 March 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-09-20

Thank you Sassi. I feel more confident knowing people with so much knowledge, like yourself, are available to help. It is just amazing the amount of tutorials, websites and blogs designed for that purpose; teaching.

I look forward to spending time on Cineversity and increasing my skills.

Thank you again,

Mary

Posted: 04 March 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Mary,

The amount of tutorials certainly reflects how much is finally possible. I call C4D normally the “Studio in a Pocket”, like any film studio has the potential to create any possible world. Waht ever you can see or perhaps imagine, you might can recreate it in 3d/4D. Exactly here is my main question positioned, “what do you want to do with it?”.

There is with no doubt my 1-6 point workflow (model, texture, camera, light, animation, rendering), which should be known. Here I even like to teach the camera first, as it allows one to dive into that space. I notice that the main problem for pretty much anyone is greater - if the camera feels not like a pair of sun-glasses—in terms of use. It should be that easy, if that is given, anything else will get the full attention, instead of “fighting with the camera in the first place”

However, if you have a specific idea what you like to do, or perhaps at least a blurry direction, this limits that overwhelming feeling a lot. For example, why to learn “Sketch and Toons”, if photorealistic images are your target. Or why to dive into Character animation deeply during the start, if engineering based visualization is the only wish to master.

Do what makes the most fun and where your target is. There the learning works best. You need to want to learn it, a “you have to do” creates stress and a bad learning experience. IF you know what you like to do, we are here to help and kick little obstacles out of the way. Perhaps in that moment these little things look huge, so it is better to not “climb that mountain in on big jump”. I hope that makes sense.

Enjoy the ride.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: