A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Lightsaber, Part 1
Posted: 25 February 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-06-27

Hi,

We are using R14 to go through this tutorial.  At about 2:28 in part 1 when the size is changed to 60, 360, 60 our size is grayed out and whenever we change the size and hit apply, they go back to 1.

Not sure what we’re doing wrong.

Thanks

Posted: 25 February 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

MultiSelectScale.PNG

If this is what you are getting, it is because there are multiple objects selected.
At this point the scale tool functions as a uniform scale.
That is what the number 1 in the Coordinate manager represents…the seelction is 1 times as big as it is, which would be no change if you clicked apply.

In some ways this actually presents you with a better option for scaling.

What the instructor did was to first hit “c” to make editable.
Then, with the resulting geo selected, and in object mode he was able to set the values directly.

The issue here is that his values could cause a non-uniform scale, which may change the original profile that he was trying to achieve.

Posted: 25 February 2013 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-06-27

I think that makes sense.  The X, Y, and Z, on the scale are all at 1.  The students might have had the spline and the Lathe NURBS selected when they hit ‘c’.  The issue was when they went to add the next cylinder, they had trouble getting it to look right.  We shall try again tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Posted: 26 February 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2011-06-27

OK, we did try that, but I still think we are missing something.  When we set up our display to match the one you posted as close as we could (both spline and Lathe NURBS selected) this is what we have (attached file).

Edit: File attachment didn’t work.  I’ll be right back with a link/embed.