A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Character Object’s IK Handles in the Object Manager
Posted: 26 February 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Hi,

I created a guy using the Character Object. I have him rigged and I’ve started animating him, and everything’s going smoothly so far. But now I want to link his hands to the object he’s holding. I’d like to just animate that object and have his hands follow along. I know how to do this a few different ways, but only if I can see the IK handles in the Object Manager. As it stands, I haven’t selected the Character Object and hit C, which would show me those handles. I’d like to keep the Character Object how it is, just in case I need to go back and change anything. Is there some way I can do this without having to make my Character Object editable?

Thanks

Posted: 26 February 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2012-02-21

Another way to approach this… I right-clicked on the right arm’s IK handle and added a Constraint Tag from there. I clicked PSR and dragged the object he’s holding into the box and it works fine. But once I click elsewhere, I can no longer find my way back to that Contraint Tag. If you can find a solution for that, that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Posted: 26 February 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hopefully this helps.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8306001/CV_posts/Controller_display.PNG

You can set the C.Object to display the contollers. This should allow you to side step any conversions.
If anything goes missing (I haven’t tried…so I’m not saying it couldn’t happen) then check the layer manager, as the C.Object can add a lot of layers to your scene to help manage display of objects.

Posted: 26 February 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2012-02-21

Awesome. Thanks for the quick and helpful response Patrick!

Posted: 26 February 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

No problem :D