A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Hair Clumping Question
Posted: 29 November 2022 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2021-03-09

I am trying to keep the hair the way it looks on frame 0.  If you turn off clump in the hair material you can see I have the hair strongly being clumped to the guides.  So I have Clump checked in the Hair Object/Hairs Tab/Interpolation section.  But as I play it and move forward in the timeline the hairs start to all spread out. I thought having my rest mix percentage high that that would help and it does keep the guides in place but the hair is still spreading out. Is it a dynamics thing that I am missing? Like I said in the beginning I’m just trying to keep it looking like the first frame and then when I drop the rest mix I could get some motion back but it would really be holding onto the guides closely. Thanks.

Posted: 30 November 2022 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi dpochtrager,

I can’t see your setup; please share an example file. (Zipped,<4MB)

The Rest Mix will work based on the storage of the “Set Initial State” I guess that is what you did.

Have you explored Rest Hold, or how about using Rigid in the Dynamic settings?

I will look at your example file as soon as I get it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 November 2022 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2021-03-09

I’m sorry, I could have sworn I attached it the first time but here it is.

Posted: 30 November 2022 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi dpochtrager,

I have sent you an upload link. Private messages.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 November 2022 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, dpochtrager!

I have explored your file, and it is undoubtedly an artist’s call to adjust this.

Please cache all Hair Objects, which can be done while selecting all and cache them; it will run through each.
With this, you have the dynamics, but you can move freely on the timeline. This takes some unexpected parts out of the results.
With that, I moved through the timeline and switched the Clump on and off; there was a clear difference each time.

You have eight Hair Objects but only one Hair material. So even if each Hair object produces a special part of your creation, you like to rule them all with one.

The parameters you use, e.g., 40cm for the Radius, are really large.
Please check the manual about this while reading about the Count and the “connection” to the Radius.
I would only repeat the same here:
https://help.maxon.net/c4d/2023/en-us/Default.htm#html/MHAIRMATERIAL-HAIRMATERIAL_GROUP_CLUMP.html#HAIRMATERIAL_CLUMP_RADIUS

My suggestion is to copy the C4D Hair material and use it on parts that do not work as you like. So you can fine-tune parts of it more precisely.

I hope that it will come closer to your targeted style. It seems you are close, but that is, again, your decision to make. Looks good to me, BTW.

As a side note: you might consider animating the parameters a little bit; perhaps that will support your idea better.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: