A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Liscense to Assets in the Asset Browser
Posted: 24 October 2022 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2021-08-07

Hi,
I have a Maxon One subscription. I am building a model for a contest (Adobe Substance 3D: Robot-Challenge). The rules state that ‘No third-party models/assets can be used’.

Is my using Maxon provided model in the asset browser considered using a third-party model? Or, do I have full rights and ownership of those assets due to my Maxon One subscription?

Thanks,
Greg

Posted: 24 October 2022 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Greg,

For anyone not familiar with the contest, here is one of the short texts on the website:

Substance 3D has released a new offer on the Adobe platform, which gives students free access to all Substance apps. We’re so excited about this announcement that we have teamed up with Adobe to create a Robot Challenge, where you’ll be challenged to showcase your best 3D skills by creating your very own loveable robot character.

During my several studies, I had only four semesters in total about law, so I’m not the last instance to decide that, if at all. Having said that, here is my personal/private idea on it, not in any way a Maxon-based evaluation!

When I read: “… very own loveable robot…”, that would limit it to your very own creation from scratch. Not what you own, have access to, or have brought into your possession.

Secondly, they write, “… You can reference another artist’s concept art, but make sure to ask permission and credit their work before starting…” which means to me personal ideas can be used as long as they are clearly marked as such, but not 3D models, you have to translate that into 3D on your own.

The key idea, again - IMHO, contestants’ results could lead to being used for PR purposes, and if that is so, the organizer of such a contest certainly does not want to check in detail if they can use the material. My advice is to build from scratch, have all the rights, and do your best to win!

I would ask Adobe/Substance to clear that.

My best wishes for your work.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 October 2022 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2021-08-07

Dr. Sassi,
Thanks for your considered input. My first impression of the requirement was like yours as well. However, I just wanted to check. Luckily, about 99% of the robot I had built a year ago is my work so changing that 1% to something original won’t be difficult!

Cheers,
Greg

Posted: 24 October 2022 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply. Having done all on your own, if that is requested, and can certify this, is a great feeling.

Fingers crossed for your entry!

Enjoy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]