A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Connecting a Jointed, Weighted, Espresso Tagged Arm to Main Body
Posted: 20 October 2022 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2022-02-02

Let’s say that I modeled an arm all by itself, then experimented with it by adding joints, weighting it, using an Espresso tag and even adding hair. And let’s say the armed turned out exactly as I wanted, but now it’s time to connect this arm to a main body that I created that’s just made up of polygons and nothing else. (I know that normally I’d create the arm and body together, as one piece, then add the joints, weights, Espresso tag and hair to the arm, but by accident that didn’t happen).

So, when I attempted to weld together the end points from the arm, to the main body, or even use the bridge function, it appears they’re welding or bridging, but in fact, when a polygon is moved on either side of the weld/bridge, the vertices are in fact not really connected.

I tried placing both the arm and main body as children under a Connect and welding and bridging, but that didn’t help, either. Do I have to Tools/Convert/Connect Objects, make both the arm and body as one single model, and start from scratch with joints/weighting/Expresso tag/hair of the arm, or is there another way to weld or bridge the arm shoulder onto the main body and not lose the work I did with the joints/weighting/Expresso/hair of the arm?

Thanks so much for your attention.

Robert

Posted: 21 October 2022 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Robert,

Typically that is possible, and often Character animation artists split a character into parts anyway to have an easier life when changes are needed.

The key is that the mesh where the arm and the torso meets needs to be identical in amount and position. So the joints that drive those have the same influence on both parts. There are some limitations, and I have no idea how to overcome those, like the Delta Mush or specific PoseMorph options not working well with split objects.

Joining those and re-weighting is perhaps an option to consider. How much the Vamp function can support this depends on the setup. The seam (where two points are on top of each other) should get some manual treatment.

Example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdfahcga3uu66ce/CV3_2023_drs_22_CAsb_01.c4d.zip?dl=0

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]