A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Noob Q: How Do I animate a Car Wheel With a Camber?
Posted: 07 October 2022 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2021-05-20

Hi

I have a model of a racing car created in another application and imported as an FBX into C4D. The front wheel has a slight camber (looking from the front, it slopes inwards at the top, so NOT sitting absolutely vertical).

I create a keyframe at the start, then move the timeline to another point and rotate the wheel (on the screen it looks to be perfectly rotating taking account of the camber) and then I add another keyframe.

When I play the animation the wheel starts spinning about the vertical (green) axis, which is completely wrong.

I’ve tried changing the rotation order but nothing makes the animation work properly.

Please could someone let me know where Im going wrong?

Thank you!

Posted: 09 October 2022 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi photographs,

I have no idea about your setup, I would need to see it. Perhaps place a Parent Null on the wheel and animate this null.

The rotation order is not sequencing through the axis, e.g., Y would (not) become x.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 October 2022 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2021-05-20

Thanks for the quick response. I found the answer was to use ‘Freeze Transformations’, so all the rotations apply about the local object axis and all works as expected for both the vertical wheels and the wheels with a camber.

Posted: 10 October 2022 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, photographs.

Yes, exactly that is a standard for Character animation. Nice that it works in your set up.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]