A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

C4d 14 Sculpting Process
Posted: 05 October 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-10-13

I have a question about process for using the sculpting tool and texturing. If I had a cartoon figure.. a biped, would you first loosely model the figure (based on a guide in the BG or something), then texture it, then sculpt it?

I’m confused because the order matters since when you sculpt you increase the geometry for smoother sculpting.

whats the preferred process??

thanks.

David

Posted: 05 October 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

I guess Patrick might add here some more information, as we all have our very own way to do things as artists.

However, the manual suggest the following:

The suggested workflow for shaping characters:
-> Roughly model the character
-> Sculpt
-> bake (in order to continue work with the low-res object; all details will be included when rendered)
-> rigging
-> texturing
-> animation

You find as well the note that the freeze option is needed to be active, before the Phong Tag is in use again.

My idea would be of course to texture after the sculpting process. The sculpting work does not add polygons to the area that you are working on. All or nothing can be increased or decreased. This results in relatively larger polygons (segments) where you might pull a lot away from the original mesh. This might decrease then the resolution on the surface, and with that stripes become there (for example) larger. Which might be wanted, but I guess in the most cases not at all.

In opposite to this might be the idea, to use a given texture and use the texture as guide to sculpture with it. The texture becomes perhaps distorted, but it might help as well to sculpture at all in the fist place. Then after all is done, BodyPaint 3d might be used to get the texture back in shape.

I used these two examples to illustrate two cases where you start differently, based on the way one likes to work. But on the end, so my current experience, the texture should be done (or fixed).

Again, I believe that everyone should find his/her workflow, that creates the best conditions to work in, but an understanding how the mesh is manipulated needs to be given, to maximize the success.

I would suggest to start with a simple object and tweak it differently: nearly no change and partly extreme change of the prepared source geometry, starting with texture on it, and then texturing again after the work is down. Compare both, in terms of workflow and result. Best practice is mentioned above (manual) but feel free to make you own explorations.

The idea what the source geometry should look like is as well discussed, as the best mesh consists out of square polygons, the targeted shape should be roughly given, to avoid (as mentioned) an extreme uneven size of the final mesh. (Also here, each project has different demands, and if you need nearly none details on the e.g., body, but on the face, prepare the pre model accordingly.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 October 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hi David,
Sassi is correct, in that you really need to find what will work for you and for your production.
You may find that your needs will affect which steps you need / can live without.

For my own work I will:
Rough out the base mesh (this will be super low if I plan to re-topologize, or medium resolution if I don’t)
If using a medium res mesh I will then create UVs.
If using super low rez mesh I will retopologize the sculpt then do UVs.

Once UVs are done I will sculpt.

After sculpting I will bake out AO

I still have a few videos to get through before I do sculpting.

We will also have a series from Chris Broeska that will cover character modeling and likely some extra sculpting too.

Posted: 08 October 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

We need a “LIKE” or “Plus” button here, Patrick, it would make it so much easier to give you positive feedback, instead of spilling some noise here.  ;o) I look forward to the new series about sculpting, it is an amazingly straight forward tool.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]