A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Question on Random Effector & Falloff
Posted: 07 September 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-07-26

Hi Cineversity,

I have a C4d project and run into a problem. I am using C4d’s Mograph. I have a small candlelight flame in a cloner object. I have put an object in the cloner mode (object is a number), and set it where all the little flames are on the “polygon center” option. So far, no problem.

I am using the Shader Effecter > Falloff Shape set to Linear (the falloff option in Linear is 50%) to “turn on” the candlelight flames, the parameter is set -1. The candlelight flames are “lit” when I animate the Shader from left to right.

Is there a method where I can set an effector for them to randomly turn on, so in all different locations the candle light flames light up instead of seeing a shape like Linear? I’ve tried search in CIneversity in explanations of falloff, I’m familiar with using “Shapes” like spheres & linear & boxes…guessing a “noise” could be used?

Appreciate any direction!

Posted: 07 September 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi TCG,

If I get your idea correctly, then you would like to have an option to randomize the values for each created candle independently.

Set up your Shader Effector with a noise shader and animate the noise. Use here the fall off option only if you like to have the effect starting from a certain direction (or fading)

Another option would be to use the Standard Emiitter and let particles “rain” over the candles. Drag that emitter into the Falloff part of a Plain Effector (Shape>Source) and set the “Sample Distance accordingly to your needs (set the amount of particles as high as you like to get the desired effect.

There are more options of course, like with -rnd- in the Formula effector or just use a Vibrate Tag on the Effector, but you might have already a favorite solution in the ones mentioned above.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]