A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Engraving: bump? Displacement? Or ???
Posted: 13 June 2012 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-01

what’s the best way to ‘stamp’ something into metal (or a plane). I’d like to use the texture displacement, but am have ‘jagged’ issues on the curves. Even after greatly cranking up the polygon count. Is there a better way? I don’t like the way the boole leaves hard edges, and the bump won’t work for how close I want to get. So am open to any suggestions you have. Attached is a jpg of the ‘look’ I’m going for.

thanks in advance!
-David

Posted: 13 June 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

Modeling would be the highest quality, if the modeling is done well of course ;o)

Bump Mapping will not give you this kind of effect, but it might help sometimes to support that, ... sometimes 9As would Normal mapping do, at least for the reflection)

If you like to use Sub-Polygon-Displacement (SPD), then use nothing less than 16bit/c. Any 8bit/c might not have the “steps” needed to get this done. Something like that as standard Displacement, I wouldn’t even bother to try, to be honest. (Edit: to just convert an 8bit/c to 16bit/c will change nothing, the gradients of the images need to be from the start in the 16bit/c quality. Other wise a little bit blur might help, but that is a trick. Tricks don’t sustain long enough for pro work./Edit)

Get a nice gray-map with a very high resolution of your displacement idea. You can reduce the size later on if needed.  The gray-values will be responsible for the change, so the “graphic” must be excellent. The Polygon object should have a fairly good sub division to start from.

I know I speak very vague about the resolution and such, but that is not a simple number, as the final render resolution and how close the object comes to the camera will define the need for it, as well always a little bit over the max need, as changes will come.

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 June 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-01

thanks for your help. By making my map 16 bit AND adding a hypernurb, it looks pretty good.

Posted: 14 June 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey David,

Nice that it worked! I’m always a little bit careful with HyperNURBS, as long as I haven’t seen the polygon object itself.

I goes you have set up a new graphic. As a side note, to turn a 8bit/c just into 16bit/c will not help a lot, as the values stay the same then, to blur this a little bit might help more than anything else. But to start with 16bit/c and get a clear image for that work should work nicely.

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]